Crash when importing giant Outlook PST file

Hello,
I have been using Outlook for a long time and I am wanting to switch to eM Client since I got a new computer and it doesn’t have Outlook on it. I tried to import a large Outlook PST file 19 GB in size. After I started the import, eM Client stopped responding and seemed to totally freeze. I waited a couple of minutes and it still looked frozen and was not responsive, so I did a force-quit. I started eM Client up again and nothing from the PST file had been imported. Is 19 GB simply too big to import? Or should I just have waited longer or what? Is there a known size limit for importing PST files?
Thanks!

miércoles 07 octubre 2020 :: 1356hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @greg9840

There is NO limit on the size of a PST file that can be imported,
though the speed of the transfer will be affected by the processing
capability of your system.
Have you transferred the PST file to (say the desktop) of your
new computer?
If the file is NOT on the new computer and you are attempting
this import over a network, local or remote, you could possibly
have bandwidth issues.

¡Saludos desde la soleada España!

Russ

[email protected]

Hi, thank you. Yes, the PST file was on my hard drive already. I had downloaded it from my iDrive backup. Are you saying I need to wait longer, and I should not worry about the fact that while attempting to import the PST file, eM Client appears frozen and Windows says that eM Client is not responding?

jueves 08 octubre 2020 :: 0900hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @greg9840

I no longer use Outlook, however, it is still used in my company.
I got hold of 2 PST files (8Gb & 28Gb) I imported them separately on 2 different computers to
run a series of tests. They both imported without issue though there was a significant difference
in the time taken between files and computers.
On my new laptop, very high spec, (Lenovo P1 Intel Xeon W-10885M 8 core 64Gb RAM)
8Gb file less than a minute, 28Gb file nearly 15 minutes
On a spare, very standard desktop in the office, 16 minutes & just over 64 minutes.
On the laptop there was no hanging, on the desktop with the larger file it did hang on a
couple of occasions, but got there in the end.
So I guess you just have to be patient.

¡Saludos desde la soleada España!

Russ

[email protected]