Copying Folders to new laptop

I have had to reinstall windows on my laptop and my emails have come through to emclient, however all my local folders have not shown up. I have done a backup on my old laptop and tried to restore it but the local folders are still not showing. How can I get all my local folders back again

Is Settings > General > “Show Local Folders” checked?

Hi yes it is - I have checked that

when I do the backup on old computer does it automatically include the Local Folders - do you know
thanks

In my experience, the answer is YES (using the built-in Windows eMC backup).

1 Like

@DeeBos

I have had to reinstall windows on my laptop and my emails have come through to emclient, however all my local folders have not shown up.

As @sunriseal advised if you have been backing up eM Client with the built-in backup program and saved the backup.zip file to another internal or external drive “prior to reinstalling Windows”, then you can put that backup.zip file back in the same “Documents / eM CIient” folder and restore eM CIient via “Menu / File / Restore” and all your Local folders will be there.

Now if you haven’t been backing up eM Client “with the builtin eM Client backup” and copying the backup.zip files in you Documents / eM CIient folder to another drive or external drive prior to reinstalling Windows, then you wont normally see anything in Local folders after setting up your account again.

However if you have a copy of your user profile or harddisk complete files backed up “prior to reinstalling Windows” on another backup drive, then you can alternativily copy the contents of the old eM Client hidden roaming database folder “C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client” and replace your current eM Client hidden roaming database folder with that one, which will also then restore your email & local folders exactly how it was before.

So you would “install the same or later version” of eM Client and then “skip the initial setup wizard” and then “close eM Client”. Then delete the contents of the new eM Client roaming folder and replace it with your backup contents. Then open eM Client and it should be exactly how it was before wirh your Local folders.