Contacts

We just moved from MS Exchange / Outlook to Google Apps for Business and just testing out what email client we will be using. My problem right now is i’m trying to find a way to be able to query the directory of google apps from this client. Is this possible?

Hi,
could you please be more specific? What exactly do you need to do?

in google apps, there is a folder called directory where it keeps a copy of all the emails in the company and it is shared to every user when using IE or google chrome. This means that everyone can access this directory if they use a browser. If i use eM client, it only synchronizes the contacts of that particular user. So, is there a way to synchronize the folder called “directory” . The work around now is to select all the contents of this directory and add to the contacts folder of the user then eM client would synchronize it.

Thanks,
Manny

Hello,

Any updates on this one? Or is this possible?

Thanks,
Manny

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying - I will ask our developers and will let you know as soon as I have any details.

Thanks, George. Sure do appreciate your help and effort. This would be a really good feature if it can be integrated…

Thanks again,
Manny

Good news - we plan to implement it to the upcoming version 6 which should be released approximately in 2 months.

Was this fixed? I just downloaded eM Client and I’m trying to figure out if this was addressed as I’m having trouble querying our Directory as well. We use Google Apps at my company as well.

Hi,
sorry can you please comment on the issue you’re experiencing?
What exactly is wrong?

Thank you and sorry for the late reply,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

I think I can add comment here. Version 6 now sees the Google Shared Contacts “Directory”. Users on the domain are automatically there, and they are visible to Em Client contacts as a separate folder. However, I think what is happening, and we experience this as well is, if you add external shared contacts to the directory, they will show up on the Gmail web interface under “Directory” folder, but not in Em Client under the same “Directory” folder.

Is this a Gdata API issue? Or other? It’s going to be an issue for people I think… it basically removes ability to see shared contacts in the mail client - a very key issue for many.

Hi, are you able to make a screenshot of this issue?
What version of eM Client are you using?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul - I’m not sure a screenshot would show much. In gmail web interface in contacts, the “Directory” subdirectory shows both domain users and all external users. In Em, only the local domain users are there. No external users.

Using latest 6.0.20154.0 version.

Hi again, I really believe a screenshot of your folder structure would help me identify the issue.
Do you mean that this is a shared contacts folder?

Thank you,
Paul.

Yes - the shared contacts folder, also called the Google “Directory”. It’s available to all domain users to read when Contact Sharing is enabled. It will then be visible as a contact folder called “Directory” both in gmail and emclient. I’ll try to get screenshot for you.

Hi, unfortunately shared contacts folders are not currently supported by eM Client, so that’s probably the reason you’re having issues with the setup.
We’re considering improving this in future releases.

Thank you for understanding, I hope you can manage to use the current settings,
Paul.