A few days ago, seemingly coinciding with when I updated the OS on my iPhone, my emClient began asking repetitively for me to enter my login credentials for my me.com account. First for the CalDav, then the CardDav. I put in the right password, over and over, and it pops up instantly again, until I finally click the X in the corner and box goes away. Maybe for a minute. Then it comes up again. The error at the top says “Server not authorized.”
I know I am entering the correct me.com password. I looked on this forum and found a suggestion to remove the “me.com” from the username area of the CalDav and CardDav entry on the Tools page. That didn’t work. I have done nothing when updating my iPhone to change this, EXCEPT I noted that the latest iOS mentions it now has 2 factor authentication. I have no clue if that is related or not. Just putting it out there. Point being, I changed nothing.
I was curious if upgrading my emClient to the beta 7 version would help. It has not. I have the exact same thing with this password window popping up all the time. It is beyond frustrating. Everything else I love about emClient, but now this is crashing the beta if I force the windows away too many times. I get “emClient has stopped responding” about once an hour.
Please tell me if you have any solutions for this!! Thanks!