Connected but reporting "Message wasn't downloaded because you're not connected to the server."

Client is connected to server with IMAP setting of “Download messages for off-line use” checked. The system works flawlessly for days then displays “The message wasn’t downloaded because you’re not connected to the server.” Trying to synchronise by invoking 'Receive all" :  “message will be downloaded the next time you connect”.  The message header is correctly displayed in the left-hand pane but not the message body in the right-hand pane.

I am assuming that by downloading for off-line use both header and body are already received but not correctly displayed. Or are there two separate receive functions and a genuine hiccup is occurring to the connection between them?

I have never had such a server-client failure reported with Thunderbird and MS Live Mail.

By exiting the program and re-starting, the entire message is then immediately displayed. Version is: 6.0.21372.0. OS is Win 7 Professional.

This is no big deal as it happens only very occasionally and can be cleared by restarting eM Client. However, it would be interesting to know if I have something set up wrongly. Thank you.

Hi Brian, if I understand this correctly when the issue occurs you have the “Download messages for offline use” option enabled in your eM Client installation? Can you confirm this?

This issue usually occurs, when the account is being synchronized and the message content is not yet available for the application to display, by trying to display the content a request for download is pending, however isn’t finished due to a pending request for synchronization.

Regards,
Paul

Thank you for your prompt response, Paul. Yes, I confirm that the box “Download messages for offline use” option is enabled, which I remember seeing recommended for a similar problem in the forum.

I do not quite understand your explanation about synchronisation. In my case the message never displays despite attempting a fresh (manual) receive function - the warning persists and no further messages are reported despite a frequent traffic condition - almost as if the server was indeed disconnected, which I do not believe as the Internet connection to the ISP remains active … yes, I know they are separate servers but I have never known one down without the other.

Thank you again, in every other way I find the program truly great and can live with this minor problem - if it is one and not my installation.

Best, B.

Hi again Brian, I tried to suggest that the issue can occur when the synchronization process during which the content of the message should be downloaded gets interrupted or terminated before the process is finished.

Can you please make sure you’re using the latest release of eM Client, http://www.emclient.com/dist/v6.0.21372/setup.msi and check if the issue persists?

If the issue reoccurs, please navigate to Tools > Operations > Log, copy the content of the log and submit it to us here on the forum.

Thank you,
Paul

I have download again and re-installed just in case. As the condition is so infrequent and as I may have cured it with the new installation, I shall not enable logging until it does … then I will have to clear the log on a regular basis (or it will get too large) until it next occurrs, when I will contact again.
Thank you very much for your support.

Brian.

Hi again Brian, no problem, glad I could help, please make sure to let us know if the issue reoccurs, we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,
Paul

Hi Paul,
I have had two incidences of the problem, the second beginning today at 21:24 (CET). I have sent the relevant log for that incident.
Hope you can resolve it.
Best, B.

Hi again Brian, thank you but I unfortunately have not received any logging data, please make sure to submit the logging data to my email, [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic or submit the content of the log here on the forum.

Thank you,
Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for your input. Sorry about the mixup.

I had invoked the Tools>Settings>Advanced>Logging>Send logs< facility and so got the default email address - the re-send should now reach you … with the relevant logs from yesterday (2015-02-18) covering the incident at 21:24 (local CET).

All details in the log email.

Thank you.

Brian.

Hi Paul, an update …
I have just observed something that may be relevant when the problem again occurred today. As before the sequence was:

1. Message entry. - Download message. The message wasn’t downloaded because you’re not connected to the server.
    2.Clicked on ‘Download message’ section.
  2. ‘The message will be downloaded the next time you go online’
  3. Clicked on ‘Receive all’ - no change, the above message remains.

I then changed from Inbox to Sent then back to Inbox … The message was then properly displayed.

???

Best,

Brian.

Hi Brian, thank you for the received data, I’ve checked the received data with the developers but I’m afraid this is caused by the server availability. Try to adjust your synchronization time in Tools > Settings > General and try to setup the account to synchronize your items each 30minutes.

Switching between the folder can resynchronize the folder just as well as the send and receive button, but when the server is still processing the previous request the message can not be downloaded.

Regards,
Paul

Thank you Paul, I have set the synchronization time to 30 minutes - from 3 minutes as per a previous suggestion in one forum posting! Not sure I am happy with only every half an hour receiving but hey, whatever works.
Interesting that analysis of the log data determines a genuine server unavailability, only evident when using eM Client … Perhaps Thunderbird and MS Live Mail wouldn’t have recognised or reported that condition to explain never having seen it when I used them.
Whatever, still would not change back - keep up the great support work.
Best,
Brian.

Well, the above has seemed to even increase the incidence of the problem. Again switching the display from ‘In box’ to ‘Sent’ then back to ‘In box’ resulted in the message body being displayed when a ‘Download’ didn’t. I shall return the synchronization time to the default 10 minutes.

Hi Brian, I’m afraid this is caused by the performance of your server, when the message can not be downloaded there’s most likely another request being processed by your server, unless the request is processed your server won’t be able to handle another request.

When you’ve turned on the synchronization for offline use, your account has started to synchronize with the server to download all the needed data, this may have caused a temporary inability to download the messages while other data were being downloaded by the application.

Thank you,
Paul

Paul, I really appreciate your support, thank you. However, I infer from your message that the problem, in the case of my ISP server, may be exacerbated by having checked “Download messages for offline use”, which had earlier been given as a cure for the same symptom !

Not to worry, it is a trivial condition that, for me, has a simple workaround by switching from the ‘In box’ display and then back again, whereupon the message appears. Nothing else, short of closing the application and restarting, works, certainly not a ‘Download’ or ‘Receive’ function.

Thanks again,
Brian.

Hi, I have the same problem, I’ve read some of the forum posts to see if I could fix the problem myself, but alas, I can’t and I really like em Client but this error is really not jiving well with my productivity.

I use Videotron as our ISP and previously, on a different hard drive, em Client has worked flawlessly. I  installed it on this drive (Windows 7 Pro) and without exception I get the error with a yellow triangular warning icon “Download message. The message wasn’t downloaded because you’re not connected to the server.” (Please see image below). Yes, I have the most recent version installed.   And I’ll try pasting the data from the log as I’ve read on the posts. Please help; I really like this program otherwise. Pls note I’m not super tech savvy although I’d like to be!

Thanks, Lori

12:57:34 PM Online state: changed to online due to NetworkAvailability 12:57:34 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/
12:57:35 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Downloading message part…
12:57:35 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done
12:57:35 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/Jobs
12:57:35 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Downloading message part…: Done
12:57:35 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done
12:57:35 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: For folder [email protected]/Inbox
12:57:36 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: For folder [email protected]/Inbox
12:57:36 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: For folder [email protected]/Inbox
12:57:36 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: Done
12:57:43 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Downloading message part…
12:57:44 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Downloading message part…: Done
12:57:47 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Downloading message part…
12:57:47 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Downloading message part…: Done
12:57:50 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Downloading message part…
12:57:51 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Downloading message part…: Done
12:57:51 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Downloading message part…
12:57:51 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Downloading message part…
1:05:25 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Downloading message part…
1:05:25 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Downloading message part…: Done
1:05:25 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: For folder [email protected]/Inbox
1:05:26 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: For folder [email protected]/Inbox
1:05:26 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: For folder [email protected]/Inbox
1:05:26 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: Done
1:06:05 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/
1:06:05 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done
1:06:05 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/Jobs
1:06:05 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done
1:06:05 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: For folder [email protected]/Inbox
1:06:05 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: For folder [email protected]/Inbox
1:06:05 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: Done
1:06:07 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Downloading message part…
1:06:07 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Downloading message part…: Done
1:06:16 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Downloading message part…
1:06:18 PM [email protected] [IMAP]  Downloading message part…: Done

Hello, there’s no error included in the Log, unfortunately this can occasionally occur in case the application is unable to download data from the server, due to missing internet connection or when the server can’t process the request on time. Note that eM Client by default only downloads your message’s headers and the content of the body can only be downloaded when you click on the message in your list.

You can workaround this by enabling the “Download messages for offline use” option in Tools > Accounts > Your account > IMAP.

Hope this helps,