ClientID used at initial setup is different from when the account is actually set up

Hello,

I would like to report that the ClientID used and sent for checking the logins during the initial setup of an account is different from when the account is set up and completed.

How was it discovered?

I approved the ClientID sent during the initial account set up stage and found that after the mailbox account is created in emClient, checking or sending emails prompted login failures, which was then found to be due to a different ClientID being sent.

Please update so that the ClientID used during the initial setup stage is kept as the ClientID for when the account set up is complete and created in emClient.

Thanks!

That is unusual.

What email account setup was this for ? Also did you use the automatic wizard or do a manual setup ?

I was using the automatic wizard, for a CityEmail account.

As you used the automatic wizard setup and it connected ok initially, it sounds like this issue is mailbox server related and not eM Client related, as you don’t normally have to manually change the account name (client Id) or password after using the automatic wizard setup.

Thank you for the reply.

I have just tried this Add New Account process again, and I see how it confused me with the “Automatic Setup” showing at the top while I clicked on the “Mail” selection bar + “Other” and then the “Next” button.

So, using this Manual setup, the ClientID used during the “Test configuration” stage is different than the ClientID used after the “Finish” button for completing the account setup.

During the “Test configuration” stage, my CityEmail account management interface (in “unlocked” state) registered the ClientID submitted, which I approved and locked the mailbox.

After the account setup completion and clicking the Inbox icon, the login failed. I had to unlock my mailbox to have emClient try logging in again, and a new ClientID showed up, which I had to approve and then re-lock my mailbox. (of course, I deleted the ClientID registered from the “Test Configuration” stage.)

Thanks.

During the “Test configuration” stage, my CityEmail account management interface (in “unlocked” state) registered the ClientID submitted, which I approved and locked the mailbox

Why do you have to lock the mailbox ? Does CityEmail require you to lock your mailbox when setting up mail clients.

After the account setup completion and clicking the Inbox icon, the login failed. I had to unlock my mailbox to have emClient try logging in again, and a new ClientID showed up.

You shouldn’t normally have to unlock a mailbox when setting up mail clients unless a mail client accessed it eg: “way too many times in a row” with the wrong username or password.

Thank you for the reply.

CityEmail does not require me to lock my mailbox, but since they provide the option of locking my mailbox access to only registered devices/clients, I want make use of the feature and emClient’s ClientID support to lock my mailbox’s access to the emClient installed on my laptop.

• “lock my mailbox” simply means that I restrict the access to my mailbox to only registered devices/email clients so that even if my email password is compromised, someone else can’t login to my mailbox from anywhere else.

Normally, I have my mailbox’s access locked to the browser that I use on my desktop, and in order to register emClient as the new allowed client for accessing my mailbox, I have to “unlock” my mailbox during the “registration” process — that is the adding-a-new account process in emClient. I thought the ClientID sent by emClient during the account set up stage would stay the same throughout the whole process; therefore, I re-locked my mailbox right after I have approved the first ClientID sent by emClient during the account setup+testing phase.

I could leave my mailbox unlocked until the whole add-new-account process is completed, but it will leave two ClientIDs or “devices” in my “lock-my-mailbox” management interface for me to approve, and I wouldn’t know which one is the “real” one without further trial-and-error testing. (I could leave the two ClientIDs from emClient registered/approved, but it would trouble my security conscious mind. :sweat_smile: )