Client does not start after upgrade to 9.2.1222.0

Upgraded today to 9.2.1222.0 and client no longer starts. Running on Windows 11. Performed “C:\Program Files (x86)*eM Client* \MailClient.exe”" /dbrepair" and did not help. Also tried to perform repair by reinstalling 9.2.1222 from setu file and see error below:
Screenshot 2022-11-14 144830

1 Like

I have exactly the same problem - which is a bit of a pain, since I cannot uninstall the update, and so so can no longer email. Cheers, John H

That is a problem with your OS.

This may help: Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed - Microsoft Support

1 Like

Gary,
I ran the troubleshooter and it found no issues with my OS. Any other suggestions? No other EmClient update has caused an issue before.
Do you have any other suggestions? I can’t even roll back to previous version as installer says newer version is installed.

Perhaps the installer I downloaded form your site is corrupted?

No, it is not the eM Client file, it is a problem with your Windows installation.

@cyberzork there were some other posts where users found fixes from Microsoft, do you remember where?

Any suggestions much appreciated as we are completely without Email client.

@Gary

there were some other posts where users found fixes from Microsoft, do you remember where?

I’ll have a look and see what I can find.

Gary

I too have tried the MS troubleshooter, and found it to be of little help, save for an offer to uninstall emclient, which would mean losing all the settings(and possibly the email folders as well).

Re your suggestion that it an OS problem, I too doubt it. Previous emclient updates have installed without difficulty

The error message posted by norms suggets there is a problem with - specificaly a file missing from - the cabinet file “MailClient.cab”. Is this worth further investigation ?

Cheers, John

Addendum

Hi Norms

I have fixed my issue by uninstalling 9.2.1222, while retaining the database (you are given the option in the uninstall flow, and then reinstalling 9.2.1222 from scratch. The new install found the database itself.

Having emclient tells us to take the issue up with Microsoft was not the best example of client support I have come across.

Regards, John H

1 Like

There is what appears to be a relevant article at
https://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26334
But the solutions described therein are well beyong my expertise. John

Did you try downloading the install file again?

You can get it here directly: https://www.emclient.com/dist/latest/setup.msi

1 Like

@Gary and Cyberzork - The freshly downloaded msi file behaves the same way when downloaded and doubleclick to launch, select “Repair” and it fails with same message as I originally posted.

However, when I right click the msi and select “repair”, it is able to launch and perform the repair. EmClient is now up and running.

I suggest, as @jdcharrison1 did, that the problem lies in the installer’s interaction with the OS and not the other way around.

Thanks to all who chimed in and helped solve this issue.

1 Like

Brilliant! Thanks. Solution works.

Hello norms,

I have the same issue, and I try your way to repair, but I was asking the setup.msi file, I tried to locate to the emclient-v9.2.1222.msi, but no help… do you have any idea on it!

resolved by rename to setup.msi

“I suggest, as @jdcharrison1 did, that the problem lies in the installer’s interaction with the OS and not the other way around.”

I totally agree this is clearly an installer and system integration bug with Windows 11 … the reboot phase after installation fails.

1 Like

This situation may come about because of some uninstaller or optimizer type app breaking the Windows Installer cache, or some other issue with the Windows Installer Service.

If the repair doesn’t work, and if eM Client won’t start after the upgrade, uninstall eM Client making sure NOT to delete the database folder when asked. Then download and install the latest version from here: https://www.emclient.com/dist/latest/setup.msi

“I suggest, as @jdcharrison1 did, that the problem lies in the installer’s interaction with the OS and not the other way around.”

I totally agree this is clearly an installer and system integration bug with Windows 11 … the reboot phase after installation fails

This issue has nothing to do with the eM Client installer file and is not a bug. It’s some problem within the OS itself that (can happen) with all different types of programs on occasions when things go wrong in the registry due to Windows OS bad house keeping.

Normally the Microsoft Troubleshooter program fixes these type of issues as @Gary already advised when it runs by modifying installer problems in the registry etc, but sometimes it doesn’t allways work and you then have to then either try running some free eg: registry scanning repair programs, or manually going into the registry (if your competent) “and find all the relevant entries” and remove them manually. This can then take time to find and remove.

The only other option you can try is eg: Rolling back your Windows to an earlier time via a Registry restore, or try Creating a new Windows profile, or Saving all your files / documents and then reinstalling Windows from scratch.

So if you have run the MS Troubleshooter and didn’t fix it, then as @Gary advised above do the uninstall and reinstall (and before reinstalling) check that the following “eM Client” folder “C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client” has been completely removed from the (x86) folder. If it hasn’t delete that eM Client folder manually.

Failing that suggest trying some free Windows registry cleaners such as eg: Wise which has allways worked well for me. There are also many other good freeware registry cleaners available too. If you do try a registry cleaner, reboot after running any clean.

If then running a registry cleaner makes no difference to the problem, (if you are competent) then “edit the registry” and find the specific error and remove it and reboot.

Failing that try a “Windows registry restore” if you have been doing those regularly.

Also its a good idea to "delete / clean out all your old Windows temp files if you are having install program problems as well. You can do that by “clicking the search / magnifying” icon bottom left on the taskbar and typing in %temp% and pressing enter. Reboot after cleaning out temp files.

If still makes no difference, then try “Creating a new Windows profile”.

Lastly the only other option would be to “Save your files / documents” etc and try the built-in in Win OS “Recovery / Reset OS” option which lets you keep your files / documents or doing a clean install.

Blaming the OS here? I sense some major gaslighting going on. Is eM Client a Mac or Linux OS now?

If the installer isn’t working as expected with Windows 11, that’s not a OS issue, it’s an application issue. The Developer of the application (eM Client) hasn’t coded the application to work around any OS parameters/restrictions.

It looks as if the problem has been resolved but still, don’t expect Microsoft to fix an issue where it only plagues one application. That’s the obligation of the application developer. Full stop.