Check for Update not updating

It used to work but lately I cannot get any update by clicking “Check for Update” from the client’s menu. I only find out about updates by visiting the website.

The check for updates won’t find anymore updates normally for 3 reasons.

1). If there “isn’t any later official fully tested user versions” available.

Or
2). If there is “only newer interim user versions available” that might still have some issues.

Or

3). If you have a very old outdated version that has a problem and is not updating for some reason.

So if you are running a recent version of eM Client and there are no more updates available when you check via the program, then there might be some newer interim updates available “you can try” via the release history page.

Note: If you do update to a newer interim version, backup eM Client first via “Menu / Backup” (Pc) or “File / Backup” (Mac) so you can then easily restore if you have any problems. You can see when the backup is complete in Show Operations via the dropdown on the right of Refresh at the top left of eM Client.

Lastly if eM Client hasn’t been updating for many months or even longer and you have a recent version, then take a note of your current version, and uninstall eM Client. When you uninstall (if you have eM Client for Windows), “don’t delete the database” when asked on the uninstall wizard. Then download the same or later version from the release history page above “for whatever licence you have” and reinstall & that should fix it.

We don’t offer all updates immediately through Check for Update, even though they may appear in the Release History.

That is truly a piss poor way to handle things, outright lazy developers right there

1 Like

Tried that but it doesn’t install as an update but as a whole new software.

Again, poor development

@cdzo72

Tried that but it doesn’t install as an update but as a whole new software.

If you have an existing eM Client install, eM Client “does install as an update” and not just a new clean install. Has worked everytime for me.

If you install the update from the release history page as per the link previous in this thread and the setup wizard opened instead of going straight into the main GUI with your email etc, then that means something happened previously to your eM Client hidden local database or your eM Client existing database has been moved.

What version of eM Client did you have prior ?,

Also did you have any database errors or problems previously with eM Client prior to upgrading?

Also did you move your existing database prior to upgrading?

Well, it also depends what you installed to begin with. If you have eM Client from the MS Store, there is no update. It is only version 9. The version on our website is not the MS Store version, and is currently at version 10.

If you had MS Store version, and then you installed eM Client from our website, they are two separate applications, so you will have both of them installed.

1 Like

Well thank you for your contribution. I guess you develop a software that is used by millions of people and you have pretty good experience how to handle upgrades. This is the reason why all major software companies roll major updates gradually…

My database is not on my C: drive partition, it is on my D: drive partition but eMClient IS installed on C: drive. Once again, if the fact that I moved the database makes the install act as whole new install, that’s piss poor development

Nope, didn’t even know a version from the MS store existed

Well, if you remove the database, and don’t change the setting in eM Client, it will just create a new blank database where the last one was. So on start it appears empty.

To move the database set the new location in Menu > Settings > General > Storage. Save the settings and quit eM Client. Move the database folders to the new location and start eM Client again.

1 Like

I would suggest showing the update if someone clicks the “check for update” button. This is the way windows handles it. It allows those of us who want the latest version to get it now, and the rest of the people that don’t care get it once it is rolled out

1 Like