Change Subject Line in Received Email

I know I saw this topic in here a couple of years ago but, even with the newest version (8.2.1287) I don’t see where this is available. I need to change subject lines so they make sense to me. As you know, some people just say something like “Important” which is pretty meaning less.
I read where this feature was coming in Version 6.x but I still don’t see it. Unless, of course, I’m missing something.

THANKS!!!
HIB

It’s not possible in any client that I know but you can use (Tag) to find them quicker or just Forward the mail as original to yourself with a different subject line.

2 Likes

In the message preview pane, click on the subject and change it how you want.

When you are finished, hit the Enter key on your keyboard. :wink:

1 Like

OMG! This took an addon for Thunderbird (and that had to be updated when TBird updated). And just in case anyone was wondering, if you’re using IMAP, the change to the subject is actually made to the eMail header, not just “local” metadata; so it shows up in that eMail when viewed on another machine (like my Android phone).

What a pleasant surprise. An Attaboy for the programmer. :trophy:

1 Like

Beware! It will change not only current message subject, but all messages which it sees in “thread”. I could not find a way to change subject of only selected e-mail.

Yes, when you are using Conversations, you are editing the subject of the whole conversation, not just a single message.

You will need to first disable Conversations using Menu > View > Conversations > Disable Conversations if you don’t want to change the whole thread.

1 Like

Interesting issue with this occured today. Thought this was best place to talk about it.

I sent a message with subject “xxx”
One of the email addresses had an error, so a “Failed delivery notification” message came from my email server
This was now the subject of the thread. Not sure if this is intended - nor if the reply to that thread was a reply to the “new” thread title (ie. subject) or what?
I was quite confused.

I did use this feature to change the thread title back to what it was :slight_smile: when i started the thread.