Change POP3 account to IMAP?

What is the most painless way to change a eMClient POP3 account to IMAP? Can it be done without making changes on the remote email server? Will locally-stored emails be preserved?

I’m doing this in order to circumvent the btinternet.com server’s spam filter, which is hiding genuine messages. With IMAP, will eMClient be able to merge the server’s inbox and spam folders into the eMClient inbox folder?

To move from POP3 to IMAP, go to Menu > Accounts and setup the account using the automatic setup. This will use IMAP.

Once that is done, move all the messages from the POP3 folders to the IMAP folders, and then remove the POP3 account from eM Client.

The spam folder and Inbox are not merged, but displayed separately for IMAP accounts. The spam folder will be listed as Junk E-mail, but it is the spam folder from the server.

domingo 12 febrero 2023 :: 1354hrs (UTC +0100)

You CAN NOT turn off the BT spam filters.

You need to use webmail to do this: if your “genuine” email is ending up in spam you can mark it as not spam and add it to your safe sender list.

You can also add a domain to the safe sender list so that may help with likes of ebay emails.

The spam filter will allegedly catch up if you do the above.

It makes no difference if is POP3 or IMAP

¡Buena suerte!

¡Saludos desde Valencia la soleada en España!

skybat

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

Can the new IMAP account in eM Client use the same email address as the existing POP3 account does, at least during the transition period? This would avoid much risky renaming and deleting. I have seen an onlne tutorial using such a technique (using Thunderbird as the client).

Thank you for replying, but the difference with IMAP is that I should then be able to download the contents of the server’s spam filter to the local client (and thus be able to see them).

I was happy with POP3, as I never look at webmail and I download all emails to the local client. That was good until btinternet.com began to put emails into a spam folder on the server, so that I never even saw them, as (under POP3) only the server’s inbox folder was visible in the client. When I realised what was happening, I looked and found that all the “spam” emails were good.

Safe sender is no solution, as I am not prepared to go continually checking webmail for new senders to whitelist.

lunes 13 febrero 2023 :: 0942hrs (UTC +0100)

I agree that “Safe Sender” might not be a guaranteed solution.
However, not checking back to your mail server periodically is in my opinion similar to,
“not checking engine oil etc” in your car, assuming you have one -
the English expression, “Good Housekeeping” covers this.
In any event what you do and how you do it is up to you.
Also be aware, in case you do not know, that when using IMAP deleting messages from
the inbox will delete local & server.
Make certain you follow the instructions given by @Gary

¡Buena suerte!

skybat

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

1 Like

Can anyone say if this is allowed (when copying from an existing POP3 account to a newly-created IMAP account)? Thank you.

@Ciaran_O_Duibhin

Can the new IMAP account in eM Client use the same email address as the existing POP3 account does, at least during the transition period?

Can anyone say if this is allowed (when copying from an existing POP3 account to a newly-created IMAP account)? Thank you

Your email address normally allways stays the same (unless you change it) no matter what way your mailbox is setup on your server. POP3 and IMAP are just different types of mail box setups and delivery methods. So dragging emails from a POP3 acct mailbox to an IMAP acct mailbox or visa versa won’t change the email address.

Note: If your email address does change for some unknown reason on your same server mailbox as your current POP account, then contact your mailbox server technical support. Normally that would only happen if you setup a whole different email address which would then have a different mailbox space associated to it.

Many thanks for clarifying that the answer is yes. I feared I would have to create a new email address for the IMAP account, and then go through move messages, delete old account and address, recreate old address and account as IMAP, move messages, delete new account and address.

I’m accepting it as the solution to the question I asked, but for the benefit of anyone else thinking that changing to IMAP is the easy way to see what is being blocked by the email server, and who wants to store their emails locally and not on the server, I add the following subsequent experiences.

Creating the IMAP account in eM Client, I came up against the limit of 2 accounts in the free version. I already had two accounts: my POP3 account, and an account for a different email address required for verification by my bank which doesn’t accept my normal address for some reason. I deleted the bank account., to be recreated later, and created the IMAP account in its place.

Now I tried to “move” the folders from the POP3 account to the IMAP account. I got “Special folder cannot be moved”. I eventually discovered that the folders should not be “moved”, but use right-click and “Copy Folder”, which is better but should not be described as “moving”.

After copying the folders I discovered that they had also all been synched to webmail, which is the very thing I most want to avoid. (I’m considering IMAP only as a means to see in eM Client the webmail spam folder.) So forget about IMAP, delete everthing that has just been sent to webmail, delete the IMAP account in eM Client, recreate the “bank” account, and we’re back to where we started.

The solution was MailWasher which I have always used as a pre-filter to eM Client (and to Outlook Express before that). Although basically a spam blocker, it serves my purpose of showing what alleged spam is being blocked by the email server. I had to upgrade my version, and then all I had to do was change the description of my account from POP3 to IMAP by ticking a box. (Possible because MailWasher does not store messages, only displays them, and can delete them or bounce them or leave them to pass to the email client.) Crucially, in IMAP mode, it can display from the server’s spam folder, as well as from the server’s inbox.

jueves 16 febrero 2023 :: 1904hrs (UTC +0100)

I assume you are using a local installation of Mailwasher Pro, not server side.
If I am correct it is not actually correct to say that MWP does not save
emails.
Dependant upon how you have MWP configured you will find historic emails
stored in the Recycle Bin by “Today”, “Last 7 days”, “last 30 days” & “All Time”,
these can be restored individually if any message has been classed as Spam in error.
Errors should not happen with the use of White & Black lists and in particular filters
which are in the most part are RegEX
The server side version is far more sophisticated - the filters are local compatible,
if you would like a copy of the filters file let me know.
With MWES I do not remember the last time I had any SPAM/Phishing etc files,
maybe 4 or 5 in the last years, it learns and self updates all the time.

¡Buena suerte!

skybat

[email protected]

That’s right. I should have said MW Pro doesn’t save emails in folders or apply IMAP-like synching. So configuring a MW account as POP3 or IMAP is as simple as ticking a box.

Yes, I don’t use MW for its spam filtering, but as a fast way of deleting unwanted messages (eg from mailing lists), and of course to see what genuine messages the webmail server has classed as spam.

I don’t see any option that says Automatic Setup.

@Shirley_Hollick

I don’t see any option that says Automatic Setup

Go to “Menu / Accounts” (Pc) or “eM Client / Accounts” (Mac). Then click “Add account” at the top which will open the automatic email wizard.

Thank you cyberzork. If I do that, is there any other changes or adjustments that will need to be made?

@Shirley_Hollick

If I do that, is there any other changes or adjustments that will need to be made?

Sometimes “depending on your mail server setup” you may need to eg: manually adjust the Server Port and / or Security policy after running the automatic wizard, but for most modern mail servers the automatic settings should work fine.

All I can advise is that if you have any problems after running the wizard, update this thread.