Change IMAP to POP3

How I can change from IMAP to POP3 after a new Installation, which was set with IMAP???
Where I can find the “Switches” therefore?
Can anyone help me please?

You can’t change the account through switches.

You will need to setup the account again, using the manual setup. You will find the instructions in the Documentation (F1) under Getting Started.

As long as your provider allows POP3, once the account is setup, move the messages from the IMAP folders to the POP3 ones, then remove the IMAP account.

Okay, and many thanks!

Well then your software should stop changing it from POP3 to IMAP.
I was just reading a previous post about 2 years ago where you were utterly adamant that it was not possible for the software to change an account from POP3 to IMAP. Well let me tell you that you are UTTERLY wrong.
I had a fresh install of em Client today. Emails clients were working perfectly. Then I imported some old .eml files and your software changed the account from POP3 to IMAP. Now there does not look to be a way to change it back again without deleting the account and starting from scratch again.
I guess the Boeing 737 Max people probably said that an airplane simply cannot fly itself into the ground (well, that was before it was proven that it did just that, more than once).
So please accept that the em Client software CATEGORICALLY does change accounts from POP3 to IMAP and tell your software engineers to fix it.

No, that is not possible. There is no way to change an account from POP3 to IMAP, or from IMAP to POP3.

The only way you can do it is to remove the POP3 account and add the account again. If you use the automatic setup, most likely it will setup as IMAP.

Importing eml files will not change that either. Absolutely no way that will happen as importing messages has nothing to do with account settings. But maybe you restored a backup, or you imported an account from another application. But importing eml files from your disk - now way that will do anything to account settings, let alone change it from POP3 to IMAP. It is just not possible.

Honestly, it happened to me.
You can argue till you are blue in the face that it is not possible.
The only outcome of your attitude is that I will have to look for an alternative email solution.
It is pointless trying to get support from a company that is in denial.

Well, it is a fact, and other email application vendors will tell you the same thing. There is no way to change an account from POP3 to IMAP. It is just not possible.

The protocols access the server differently, and the messages are stored in different places; POP3 stores the messages on your device and IMAP stores the messages on the server. You can’t just change from one to the other unless you setup the account yourself as IMAP, move the POP3 messages to your server and then remove the POP3 account. That is the only way. We don’t have any mechanism to do that automatically. Maybe some other apps will have a utility that might do it, but we don’t.

1 Like

I have been involved with computing since the days of Windows 3.1 so I doubt there is very much that you can teach me.
It happened to me.
You refuse to accept that your software is defective.
My life is not long enough to argue the point with you. I am off to find alternative software that functions properly.
But thanks anyway.

I am sorry but the software is not defective. There is absolutely no way to change an account from POP3 to IMAP unless you do it manually yourself but adding the account as IMAP, moving the messages across, then removing the POP3 account. That is the only way.

1 Like

@Ian_W

If there was a way in eM Client to change POP to IMAP or IMAP to POP without removing the account “then there would already be an option “within the accounts” to do that like a dropdown or button etc”, but that is not the case in eM Client as per the example screenshots below.

As @Gary says the only way to change once the POP or IMAP account has already been setup, is to “create the new POP or IMAP account” and then “move the messages and any message folders over to the new account”. Then once you are certain all the messages are moved over to the new account, delete the old account. Its a very simple process to do and doesn’t usually take too long. Ive done it heaps of time in the past “with many different email clients” moving from old POP accounts to IMAP.

Thats the way its always worked in any mail client i’ve ever used and eM Client is no different.