Cant set up new Google account

I had email through Ionos and was working through eM Client.
Today I signed up for Google Workspace and updated the MX records to point to Google.

I deleted the existing account in eM client and am attempting to add the same email address through the auto-discovery.

Its saying “The correct settings could not be determined. Check the email address or set up the account manually”

Google Workspace says I am connected and the account is active, I can send/receive email from their portal.

What is wrong with this?

Today I signed up for Google Workspace and updated the MX records to point to Google

If you have only just updated your MX records today, that can sometimes take up to 72 hours to fully propogate to then be able to use your domain email address with a mail client at the new mail server, which in this case is Google Workspace. See Google Workspace info below on changing MX records.

So try again adding into eM Client after 3 days. Till then use your online webmail interface.

If it then still says “The correct settings could not be determined”, via the automatic account wizard in eM Client, then check your Google Workspace MX records are updated ok at the Google end via the Step 2 & 3 on the below Google link.

Lastly if still not being detected, suggest then to contact Google Workspace support for help.

See Google’s support page quote extract below.

Quote from the above Google Workspace page.

Step 1 - “Wait 72 hours for the records to change
It can take up to 72 hours for changes to MX records to go into effect. If it’s been less than 3 days since you set up your email with Google Workspace, wait to see if your new MX records work before troubleshooting. If you check your records before they’ve had time to change, you’ll see your old records”.

Thank you. Its only been 24 hours, but I am able to add the account to Thunderbird. Still no love from eM which is prefer wayyy more over Thunderbird.

I don’t understand what’s wrong with it. I have one account already connected that is the Google business account so I don’t know why I cannot add this new Google business account.

I’m able to add it on Thunderbird and even Outlook just not eMclient

I much prefer eMclient but unfortunately will have to go back to one of the others providers

Probably something has not been done correctly in the move, or it is just delayed. However, you can add the account using Menu > Accounts > Add Account > Mail > Gmail if you are not able to resolve it immediately.

1 Like