Can't Paste Images from Emails to Word or Wordpad

I can’t paste images from any email to Word (Office2013) or Worpad, or anything else.
I really need to copy some images from an email sent from a client, who needs a document urgently, and I just can’t.
I can’t even copy the image itself to any image editor, y just pastes an empty white square.

Two ways you can try:

1. Right-click on the image and choose Copy to Clipboard , then go to Word and use Ctrl + V.
  2. Right-click on the image and choose Save Image As … , then go to Word and insert image from a file.

Already tryed number 1. Just pasted an empty white square.

Number 2 isn’t an option, because sometimes I have to copy & paste long documents with images.

Can you send me one of these emails to look at?

In eM Client right-click on the message and choose Forward as attachment. Send it to me

Done!

Thanks for the email. If I right-click on each image individually, I can copy them to Word. If I select the whole email and copy, when pasted in Word the images are blank as you describe.

If you have a Pro License, you could open a support ticket, and maybe they could help you further.

This bug is still alive
I can only copy an embedded image and paste it as image within the mail app itself (v.9.2.1222 on win11)
but that doesn’t work in any other program (word, ms paint etc), I only get a small white square with the filename next to it, OR a file protocol link to the temp file in AppData.
No bitmap, not once.
Word doesn’t even show bitmap/image as an option in its Paste Special menu, only html and text.

And before blaming the issue on the OS or some other nonsense, this works fine with other email clients (Outlook and Thunderbird)

Bug reported multiple times by multiple people since 2014, and still no fix :((((((((((((((

I am not able to reproduce that.

Copying an image from a received email, I am able to paste it into Word, Wordpad, and any graphics editor.

Can you explain a little how you are copying the image?

As mentioned by others, this happens only in active Reply windows. In email preview, even the contextual menu is different, RMB click on a picture shows “Copy image to clipboard” (which works as it should!). But in the reply window it only shows “Copy” (always the same, whether I copy some selected text, or the image itself when it shows its corner handles)

From what i see, EM doesn’t copy the embedded image as a bitmap (which outlook does as expected, or when I copy a rectangle selection in MS Paint), but it copies some sort of HTML wrap or temp file.

What i’m trying to do, is open these images in IrfanView, add some arrow/marks in places, then paste back to the Reply window. Simple and fast, no need to bother with manual saving of temp files, opening from disk, saving to disk, manual inserting image files in the email

I am not sure why you would need to add the image in eM Client, then remove it again to edit it, then paste it back again. Why don’t you do all the editing to the image before you paste it the first time in the message?

Where did i say I add the image, then edit externally, then paste it again…
This is about replying to mail that has embedded images. From the original email. Within the email text.

Ah, you are editing the quoted message, changing what the original sender sent. Why don’t you copy the image from the original email, edit it, then paste it into your reply?

But this is a different topic than this thread. You want to change the original message, not copy images from a message and paste them into Word.

OP wants to paste the image in Word, I want to paste in Paint or Irfanview. WE HAVE THE SAME ISSUE with clipboard format from EM

I don’t want to “change the original message”, that stays untouched in the quoted part.
If changing the original was an issue / forbidden, how come I can edit text portions of it???

I just want to copy an image from the email I’m currently typing, which is straightforward, easy and working in other email apps, but not here.
I explained the details in english, and gave the pointers i could identify. I’d expect better comprehension from IT people, seems you just refuse to accept this is a (long standing) bug. This kind of resistance is not attracting users.

Open an email you have sent. That is what the OP said was the issue. That seems like an old issue from years back. It is longer an issue.

Don’t forward or reply to it, just open it, either in a new window, or in the preview pane. Copy the image and paste it into Word, Wordpad or your graphics editor. It works in all cases.

If this is an image you have added, edit before you paste it into the message. If it is an image in the quoted text, you can’t copy it like that. Copy it from the sender’s message before you reply to it, then paste the image into your image editor. When done, copy it from there and paste it into your reply.

No. The OP literally said “I can’t even copy the image itself to any image editor, y just pastes an empty white square.”
And again, it’s still an issue, 8 years later.

Why?
Again, the (properly working) context menu “copy image to clipboard” shows only in preview window, and is missing during reply… for no reason.
The “copy” menu in a reply window is NOT copying an image correctly. Neither does Ctrl-C.
That is inconsistent UI, non standard and simply unjustified.

If I needed that revelation, I wouldn’t be breathing today.

I absolutely can copy it from the quoted text, then paste it as image embedded somewhere in my reply, OR EVEN IN THE QUOTED text… But it only happens in windows belonging to EM !

Again, I can do this exact same operation just fine with images in Outlook and other email apps.
Again, it’s the external paste that’s broken, due to incorrect clipboard format set by EM.
Again, this is a bug.

I’m baffled why you keep refusing to understand clear, repeated descriptions and explanations in plain English. It’s a bug, and it needs fixing.

jueves 23 febrero 2023 :: 0836hrs (UTC +0100)

I do not have a problem with your scenario, however, you say (Office2013)
& v.9.2.1222 on win11)
I have Office 2021 Pro Plus - eMC v9.2.1577 - Win 11 Pro
I do not have any issues with “cut & paste” to and from eMC and other apps
using “Save image as” & "Copy to clipboard " from eMC, further than that
I can not offer any explanation of your particular issue other than to say
that for me it works.
Unless of course I have completely misunderstood what you are attempting.

skybat

¡Saludos desde Sevilla la soleada en España!

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

I never said I have Office 2013, that was the OP.
On one machine i have 365, on another Libre office. Same bug on both.

I just updated to 9.2.1628 a307a94 – Same bug again. Reported for at least 8 years…

I’ll show the bug with pictures, since clear English seems too difficult for some.

1. Normal context menu over an image in Preview mode – “Copy to clipboard” works fine, I can paste the actual image in other programs !

2. Different “Copy” in context menu while in composing mode – this is the one that’s bugged.

3. The menu displayed on the image itself – does not even have the basic “copy” option…

4. Trying to paste THE IMAGE in other office, I get empty square with filename.
    THIS WORKS CORRECTLY when copied from Outlook…

5. Trying to paste the image in a graphics app, I don’t even get a white frame… Again, it works fine from Outlook.

This happens on two different machines, one with W10, office 365, and EM 9.2.1222, the other with W11, Libre office, EM 9.2.1628.

There are clear pointers to why this bug exists – the 2 copy menus perform different clipboard ops, one of which is broken, that’s where the bug lives. Normally a dev should notice this right away

Another thing that’s inconsistent – if I double-click an image in preview, it will directly open in the system’s viewer (in my case IrfanView) - which is great imo… But if I doubleclick the image while I’m replying (embedded image), I would expect the same, yet nothing happens!

— I think I wasted enough time describing the issue again and again and again, after many other people did the same.

@rm95

As mentioned by others, this happens only in active Reply windows. In email preview, even the contextual menu is different, RMB click on a picture shows “Copy image to clipboard” (which works as it should!). But in the reply window it only shows “Copy” (always the same, whether I copy some selected text, or the image itself when it shows its corner handles)

From what i see, EM doesn’t copy the embedded image as a bitmap (which outlook does as expected, or when I copy a rectangle selection in MS Paint), but it copies some sort of HTML wrap or temp file.

This is not a bug in eM Client.

The same thing also happens in eg: Gmail online, or in the new Thunderbird mailer etc.

I can replicate what you are talking about when replying and forwarding with many emails that have (Remote web-based Images) or even just normal (Pasted Inline embedded images) in the body of the email.

Eg: I get web-based email newsletters that arrive in Gmail online where you can always right click and copy & paste the remote http images in the emails into any other program you like (when just viewing the email). Its only as you say when you reply or forward that remote http image email doesn’t have that (copy Image) option available, due to when you are forwarding or replying and right click, you are only copying the html surround element (frame) and not the actual remote http image. This is normal.

So the way i copy and paste those remote http email images is to eg: use a “Snipping tool” (when you are in the reply and forward) windows, which then can be pasted from the snipping tool into whatever other program you like. You can then eg: edit the image in any other program, and then paste it back into the eM Client reply or forward window if you want, as its then a bitmap image in the clipboard.

Win 10 and 11 have the Snip and Sketch tool in the OS. Mac also has snipping tool built in the OS.

Example below of a eg: Colossal Cave Newsletter from Ken Williams, where i can copy via right click the newsletter graphic image at the top in Gmail online and in eM Client (when just viewing the email), but cannot copy the same image via right click (when i reply or forward the email). So i use the snipping tool in the reply & forward screens in Gmail online and in eM Client.

Also last screenshot below where i have pasted the snipped reply / forward remote http:// image into Libra Office. I could also have pasted it from the snip tool into any other program i like as well.

(Example of a Gaming email newsletter with all remote http:// graphics in Gmail Online). - Copy Image Available

(Example of the same Gaming email newsletter with all remote http:// graphics in eM Client). - Copy Image Available

(Example of a Gaming email newsletter when i reply or forward with all remote http:// graphics in Gmail Online). - No Copy image option available.

(Example of a Gaming email newsletter when i reply or forward with all remote http:// graphics in eM Client). - No Copy image option available.

The copy option you see on the dropdown in the below example is only copying the html element / rectangle and not the remote http:// image inside it which is normal and (not a bug).

(Example of email Reply / Forward window http:// remote email Image pasted into eg: Libra Office using the Windows Snip & Sketch tool.

2 Likes