Can't Connect to Gmail

I began using Version 7 and had no issues connecting to my Google Gmail account. The initial upgrade to Version 8 caused the connection to fail, so I went back to Version 7. After a few months, I upgraded to Version 8 and it worked fine … for a while. Several weeks ago, the connection started failing and I have had no success it resolving the problem. The settings were not changed from when the connection worked. I then deleted the Version 8 install (leaving the database in place) and reinstalled Version 8 from the web site. No success. Then I deleted the application AND the database, downloaded Version 8 and initiated a completely new install; providing the Gmail email ID, logging in to Google Gmail and allowing eClient access. The connection is still failing. I am ready to quit! Is it just me??

FYI — I decided to pay the Pro fee to gain access to their Online Support. My email from a few days ago has yet to receive any response. Guess I wasted $49.00, eh??

It does take a while for support to respond, at times.
Does the upgrade to PRO come with a 30 day refund?

No, it’s not just you. Reading the posts on here, eM C V8 is failing across a wide range of web mail providers. What no one has been able to come up with as far as I can see, is why the connections fail for some users and not others. What would be useful if someone from eM C or someone who has managed to speak to them, comes on here and tells us wtf is going on, and when it will be safe to upgrade to V8. That would make a change from a lot of the unhelpful crap we see posted on here, like well it’s working fine for me, the problem must be your end, or disable your AV.

When you are invited to install a new version of a system, and you do so in good faith, you should expect at least the basics to work, i.e sending and receiving emails.

ArbieW, perhaps you should consider upgrading to PRO and then YOU can “talk” to support and get a direct response, OR NOT.

Those of us trying to lend a helping hand, being it suggesting things to try or just indicating they are not encountering the same situation/problem is certainly not “unhelpful crap”. So if you have some “helpful crap” feel free to jump in and help!

jueves 24 septiembre 2020 :: 1724hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi All…

It is a Gmail issue.

A fairly common problem with all 3rd party email clients and Gmail.
And a complete mystery why it is not a consistent issue,
Anyway…

You will need to add trusted 3rd party app to Gmail account, do this:

Sign into the Gmail account using a web browser at:

https://mail.google.com

Then go to:
Settings -> Accounts and Import -> Other Google Account settings ->
Under Security, scroll down and enable access for less secure apps.
This setting is required to enable SMTP, POP or IMAP access.

¡Saludos desde la soleada España!

Russ

[email protected]

That sounds encouraging for Gmail, and I would be delighted if someone could come up with something similar for Virgin Media Webmail. I have had a look round the settings and accounts on there but nothing comes up. I still would like to know why it has worked very well on V7, but not at all on V8. All I was getting was triangles and apparently no interaction via IMAP and SMTP, so had no alternative but to switch back to V7.

jueves 24 septiembre 2020 :: 2051hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi ArchieW…

First I have to say that some of your language and comment is not helpful - if it were not for the help, knowledge and experience that is freely offered in good faith by users to, in particular people with the Free version of EMC they would have to figure things out for themselves - it’s not rocket sicence.
Of course they could always go ahead and buy a Pro version.

Personally I favour open source, use Debian, Apache, Nginx, Exim, Redis, MySQL/MariaDB, PostgreSQL. I often write my own tools using Perl, Bash, HTML, CSS, JS, plus blood, sweat and tears. I rely on Git for process and revision control. I commit and test before I enliven.!

Now, I have used Virgin for longer than I can remember in various clients and specifically with EMC in v7 & v8 I have never experienced any problems in any client.

What are the settings that you can’t find?

Russ

[email protected]

My ‘language’ is borne out of frustration. Furthermore, if a product is offered free or Pro, then I would have thought it was in the provider’s interests to make sure it works for it’s customers. Incidentally, I didn’t say all advice was crap, some of it is indeed useful to some, but to be continually advised of fudge solutions or incorrect ones is not good.

The settings I’m talking about relate to the poster having problems with GMail. It appears that there is something in that system which allows you to set up for eM C, but I can’t find anything in Virgin Media similar. All of the settings I have set up are in eM C, and I’ve checked the Host, Port and Security Policy settings and I have them set up the same in V7 as I did in V8, i.e. IMAP - imap.virginmedia.com, Port 993, Use SSL/TLS on Special Port (Legacy) and SMTP - smtp.virginmedia.com, Port 465, Use SSL/TLS on Special Port Legacy.

viernes 25 septiembre 2020 :: 1253hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi ArbieW…

These are the settings you have:

IMAP - imap.virginmedia.com 1,
Port 993,
Use SSL/TLS on Special Port (Legacy) ** I use this with Gmail
+++++ +++++ +++++ +++++
SMTP - smtp.virginmedia.com,
Port 465,
Use SSL/TLS on Special Port Legacy.
+++++ +++++ +++++ +++++

I have different settings on different laptops;

Desktop Laptop…
IMAP - imap.virgin.net
Port - 993
Use SSL/TLS if available
+++++ +++++ +++++ +++++
SMTP - smtp.virgin.net
Port - 465
Use SSL/TLS if available
Server requires authentication
+++++ +++++ +++++ +++++

When away from home Laptop…
IMAP - imap.virgin.net
Port - 993
Use SSL/TLS if available
+++++ +++++ +++++ +++++
SMTP - mail.authsmtp.com
Port - 2525
Don’t use secure connection
Server requires authentication
+++++ +++++ +++++ +++++

I hope this helps.

Russ

[email protected]

Thanks for the info Russ, it’s much appreciated. I guess what I have to do now, is decide whether I should install 8 again and try the other settings to see if any work for me. Just a little concerned that if they don’t and I have problems going back to 7 again, I’m screwed.

Thanks to Russ for the recommendations regarding Settings for Google Mail. Unfortunately for me, those settings were (and are still) in place and I still am unable to get eClient to connect properly.

Good news is that I have now received an email from eClient tech support. Perhaps this will bear some fruit?

Matt

viernes 25 septiembre 2020 :: 1422hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi ArbieW…

I presume you only have one computer.
If this is the case and you are running Windows 10 Pro you could load the native Sandbox
and run v8 there, however, I don’t know how computer literate you are.
You would simply need to deactivare you license on your current installation then use it on
the test installation, it would be deactivated when you close the Sandbox when you could

Russ

[email protected]

viernes 25 septiembre 2020 :: 1432hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi Matt…

Great that you have heard from support, I will be obliged if you will let me know the resolution.

Russ

[email protected]