Can't connect a gmail account

it just hangs forever after I log in to gmail and click to authorize everything…

incidentally this is 9.0.1708 (2cfb4a5) and I have a paid licence

OK, I found a workarund - just not sure it will be permanent…

I allowed “less secure apps” in the gmail acct.

Then I tried again, using “other” as the account type.

I used these generic settings

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server
imap.gmail.com
Requires SSL: Yes
Port: 993

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server
smtp.gmail.com
Requires SSL: Yes
Requires TLS: Yes (if available)
Requires Authentication: Yes
Port for SSL: 465
Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587

Full Name or Display Name Your name
Account Name, User name, or Email address Your full email address
Password Your Gmail password

(as much as I was able)… anyway it failed the first time, but the automatic fixer came through and now its connected. I’m not sure if it will fail after Google shuts off the “less secure settings” FOREVER ( end of this month!!)

Can someone confirm how to get gmail working properly? The recommended automatic method just hangs every time!

So it hangs when you click the Google “Allow” access button in your browser ? If it does try setting another browser as they default and then re-try the automatic wizard again,

I tried no firefox : NO JOY
Shouldnt Google Chrome browser work fine ( after all, its GMAIL).
Today my workaround seems to have 'expired" and now emclient is complaining ‘wrong password’ when I try to get gmail.

I have the PAID version - its really annoying that I am being asked to pony up 15$ a year for support"… original offer was “lifetime licence” ( bait and switch, or what, eh?)

Google no longer allows you to use a username and password for authentication.

Please see: Google ‘less secure apps’ access and what it means for eM Client | eM Client

The license is yours to use indefinitely, at no extra cost. But a lifetime license does not mean lifetime free VIP Support. That has always been a yearly subscription.

@someusername

I allowed “less secure apps” in the gmail acct

Just “re-enable secure access” again in Google Security and if you like 2FA as well which Google recommends (and is also now supported in eM Client).

Then remove and re-add your Gmail / Google account again in eM Client via the automatic email wizard and “not the manual / other” option.

Note: If you enable 2FA in Google Security, “don’t use or enable the App password” underneath.

Also when your in your Google Security, also check in “Third party apps” near the bottom, that you don’t have duplicate instances of eM Client. If you do remove all of them before running the automatic email wizard.

Shouldn’t Google Chrome browser work fine ( after all, its GMAIL)

Yes Google Chrome browser normally should appear and open fine for you to allow eM Client access when you get to the end of the “automatic email wizard”.

Note: If you don’t see your Chrome or your other browser appear at the end to authorize eM Client access to your Google account, check if the browser is in the background and maybe just hasn’t come forward. Toggle around to check.

1 Like