Cannot update or use contact list

Using version 8.2.1193. Went to add to existing contact list. No way to add new contact to list. Tried to use contact list in email. Gives only limited selection of induvial contacts in contact list, not the whole list. I use these contact lists to send out messages out to a large number of people and it looks like this capability has been removed. I doubt I am the only one that does this. This will force me to find another mail client.

These are called Distribution Lists.

You can create a distribution list by clicking on the down arrow in the New button or using the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+L. Once the list is created you can add or edit members.

For more information on creating and using Distribution Lists, see the Help File (F1) here.

Add new distribution list to Contacts:image
Look at new distribution list in Contacts:image
See the “people notation” for a distribution list. Now try to use DL in new message:image
Note that each distribution list member is listed to be selected, not a selection for the whole list. If the list is large not all list members are displayed and there is no scroll ability.
Now look at distribution list:image
Note the “people notation” for a distribution list has been removed and a new contact entry for [email protected] has appeared and it no longer a distribution list. All of my previous distribution list have had the “people notation” removed and can no longer be used.
Please fix this. It also disables the synced distributions list in gmail.

1 Like

When I opened Contacts they used to appear in the classification groups, such as Friends, Family, Business etc. Now it is just all the contacts bundled together which makes it very difficult to find contacts. How can I set Contacts to display in groups?

I am not able to reproduce that @gshoch

Can you update to the latest version in the Release History and see if there is any difference.

If you go to the Contact section of eM Client, by clicking on a group name, you should see only that group displayed to the right.

Alternatively, if you want to display all contacts, select the topmost folder, but change the Sort by to Tags. The list of contacts will then be grouped by their tag (Family, Friends, etc.)

Are your Google Contacts synced with another device or application?

Because a Distribution List is a specialized contact, some servers do not support them so they end up empty after the sync. Maybe an app on another device is doing the same after syncing the list.

I am using the latest version 8.2.1193.

Distribution lists can be setup at any level under contacts. The DL’s that stopped working were at the Business level. The example above was at the contact level.

I am only syncing with gmail. I have been using my DL’s for over a year and only did I have problem when I went to use them this month.

There may be a problem with your interface with gmail. DL’s (called labels) created there are striped of their “people notation” in eM Client and then back in gmail no longer are their version of DL’s.

In the example above there is no way to add email addresses to the DL that has lost it’s people notation or make corrections.

I don’t believe that I am doing anything unusual and don’t know why you cannot reproduce the problem. Are you using a contact list that is synced with gmail?

There is a newer version. Please download it from the Release History, install it and see if there is any difference.

Yes, I tested this with my personal Gmail account.

But as I said, with some servers, the distribution list contact format is not supported. There have been instances in the past where a particular problem affects only some users with a provider and not others. I wonder if this might be the same with Google in relation to distribution lists.

If you have a Pro License, please open a support ticket with eM Client. By reviewing your logs they may be able to determine the cause of the problem.

Updated to version 8.2.1226 Add new Distribution List: image
Look at new distribution list in Contacts:image
See the “people notation” for a distribution list. Now try to use DL in new message:image
Note that now the complete distribution list can be selected. There is still a problem if the selection list is large, not all selection list members are displayed and there is no scroll ability on the list.
Now look at distribution list: image
Note the “people notation” for a distribution list has now not been removed and a new contact entry for [email protected] has not appeared and it is still a distribution list. All of my previous distribution list have had the “people notation” removed and can no longer be used. The new update did correct these problems.
Now try to update distribution list: image
The update worked, but the names of previous entered contacts have been changed to the name of the previously used test DL (TestDL). This test DL list is TestDL2. It looks like eM Client is trying to link the name back to where it was first defined. Why is the name changed?
This does not fix my previous DL’s that have over 160 email addresses that are no longer DL’s and many have their internal names of each email address changed. Do you have a fix for this since it was caused by an eM Client update?
Next see what this DL looks like in gmail/contacts: image
Looks like DL entries are not in a DL list? Next: see if it can be used in an email? image
Looks like only TestC will be sent an email.
Now see what a new DL in gmail looks like: image
Enter emails into TestDL3: image
Use TestDL in gmail email: image
Note the difference between TestDl and TestDl2 from eM Client and TestDL3 from gmail. TestDL and TestDl2 are not seen as a DL. The interface between eM Client and gmail is not working for distribution lists created in eM Client.
Now let’s see what eM Client does with the gmail defined TestDL3: image
Note there is no “people designation” so eM Client see TestDL3 as not being a DL.
Next let’s see how eM Client uses the gmail defined TestDL3:image
The gmail defined TestDL3 is not listed and there are no search results when TestDL3 is entered in “To:”. I would hope that this can be corrected. I would like to be able to send DL emails from my computer using eM Client and on my phone using gmail and get the same result. I have been able to do this in the past.