Cannot send

Just installed eM client on Windows 8.1 PC. Receive e-mails OK but cannot send - new or reply. I use BTinternet. Any ideas?

Hi, can you please make a screenshot of your current SMTP settings which you can find in Tools > Accounts > Your Account > SMTP tab, or post the setting here.
Thank you,
Paul.

Having tried a number of different entries in the account details, I can now send and receive from my basic account and I can send from my alias in the basic account but am not receiving any mail addressed to the alias. The alias is the main e-mail address that I want to use.
If I set up the alias e-mail address as a second account I can receive but not send. The SMTP settings are identical except I am using the relevant e-mail addresses.

Hi, you have to set this on your server, you should be able to set it up in your mail account settings in your webmail interface. Once it’s setup it should work.
But you have to setup aliases for sending in Tools > Accounts > Your account > Aliases.

Thank you,
Paul.

I have set up the alias as above but do not receive e-mails addressed to that alias. I can send from the alias but do not receive. Is there another setting to adjust?

And is your alias setup in your mail server settings as well?
There’s no other setting than what I’ve mentioned.

Paul.

Yes, it is set up and I can send and receive through Outlook Express and Windows Mail but not through eM Client.

In Outlook Express do you have the second account (alias) set up as an account or do you use just one account to which all emails for the aliases are received?

Thank you,
Paul.

I have the second account (the alias one) set up as another separate account in Outlook Express. I tried the same in eM Client and can receive but cannot send.

Can you please setup both accounts in eM client then make an alias for each account and make a screenshot of the SMTP settings for both accounts?

Thank you,
Paul.

OK, but how do I post here a picture of the screen?

You can add a picture, there should be an icon for this when you’re creating new post/reply.

Paul.

Here is one of the screenshots:

and the other:

Sorry, wrong picture for the second one. Here is the SMTP:

Hi, do you have an issue with just one of those accounts or are both not working?

Thank you for the screenshots,
Paul.

Only the second one. I can receive but cannot send from bill.newman etc.

Can you please try changing the security policy for the problematic account. Currently it’s setup to “Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)”, please use the same settings as you use on the working account, which is “Use SSL/TLS if available”.

I hope it helps,
thank you,
Paul.

It worked! Thank you. Can this topic be removed now because my e-mail addresses are all over it? Otherwise I will be open to spam.

Sure, I’ll archive this topic. I’m glad everything works!
If you have any more issues or questions check back with us.

Thank you,
Paul.