Cannot open EM Client Windows 11

Hello guys,

So from yesterday I cannot open Em Client. I think I tried everything, read every post :))
I keep getting this error after database and inconsistencies check.

I am on windows 11, latest updates. Tried uninstalling Em Client, deleting database, restarting PC, deleted the remaining folders, installing em client 8 and 9, disabled antivirus (Bitdefender).

This is the error: Online Text Editor - Create, Edit, Share and Save Text Files

I didnt do anything specifically or installed anything when this error occured.

Maybe someone can help with some advice or some solution?

Thank you in advance!

Try opening up a Dos prompt (not a PowerShell) and run the following - “C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\MailClient.exe” /dbrepair

Failing that rename your “eM Client” roaming database hidden folder (C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\eM Client) to something else temporarily eg: eMClientoldmaildatabase.

Next uninstall eM Client and if (it still exists after uninstall), delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client folder. Lastly reinstall eM Client from the release history page.

Hi, thx for the answer.

I did exactly as you said, same the still error. The thing is, I dont think it is a database problem because all checks are green when I run EM, also when I ran that command din dos prompt.

The error is after the check. I also tried running as administrator and running in compatibility mode Windows 8.

Could be some kind of windows problem? Maybe some .NET Framework or something?

Thanks!

The error actually says your database is read-only, which means it can’t be accessed for normal use. Could be it has been restricted by another application or your OS.

Restart Windows, making sure all pending updates are applied. Some users have found that restarting Windows, or restarting eM Client a few times resolves the issue, but otherwise you will need to delete the database.

1. If you have a recent backup, you can delete the current eM Client database, then restore the backup and eM Client should start working again without any problems.

2. If you don’t have a backup, but all your data is synced with servers, then you can delete the database and start over. After adding your accounts, eM Client will resync with the server.

By default, the database is the C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\ folder. You may have to enable hidden items in Windows Explorer to get there.

Hello,

Already restarted a few times (more than 15 I think), also reinstalled em client a few times. And the database is gone, deleted it yesterday. But still no luck.

sábado 27 mayo 2023 :: 1734hrs (UTC +0100)

Have you considered the possibility of an OS issue?
If so is your Win11 a clean install or an upgrade from Win10?
I have a clean install on a new laptop that has never been a problem.
I also had a laptop that I upgraded from Win10 to Win11 that was never really stable with some software not performing correctly (not eMC as it happens) my solution was format the drive then a clean install, since then no problems.
Something you can try is to roll back the latest updates on Win11 one by one to see if this makes a difference.
Also you can try running SFC and/or DISM

skybat

¡Buena suerte!

¡Los mejores desde Mónaco la soleada y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués, inglés, francés y alemán
con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

Yes, I am thinking that is something windows related, but dont know what.
Its an update from Windows 10 to Windows 11. I also use Em Client on other computer with no problems whatsoever.

I think a format will resolve the issue, but prefer to find a solution without doing so.

Thanks!

So new update. I created another windows user and I can run Em client without problems from that user.
So it may not be a windows problem.

Do you have any ideeas what can I do?

Thanks again!

I created another windows user and I can run Em client without problems from that user.

If you have created a new Windows user profile and it now works, then you have some corruption or registry issue in Windows and could try running running SFC and/or DISM as @skybat already advised, or try a registry restore. Failing that contact Microsoft to see how to fix a corrupted Windows profile.

Alt if you have a eg: complete Image of your computer (where eM Client was working ok with your usual Windows user profile), then you could restore that instead and continue on.

However if you don’t have a computer image and you cannot fix your normal Windows profile, then I would personally just copy your user data from your old profile to your new profile and go with that. Saves trying to fix the corrupted / problem Windows profile.

The last alt is to do a clean install as @skybat advised.

Tried SFC and DSIM and they returned no errors. Thing is, even after I unistalled em client and deleted the database again, some settings still remained. For the new user, after I reinstalled EM Client, the wizard that adds a new emai address didnt appear.

Is there any other place that I could reset or delete some other settings or files?

Thank you!

Is there any other place that I could reset or delete some other settings or files?

For Windows, apart from the C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client folder and the hidden folder C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\eM Client as already advised above, eM Client creates a folder in your “User Profile Documents” for the backup.zip files by default unless you change that location. Im not aware of any other user profile folders for eM Client.

Everything else as far as i know goes is in the Windows registry which you would have to either manually remove or automatically remove with a registry cleaner if it hasn’t already been removed with the eM Client uninstall wizard. Normally though everything gets removed on the uninstall wizard.

Also deleted everything from the registry that had anything related to Em Client. Still no luck.

Will try to format and install a clean new version of windows.

The only registry option of interest is the database location. That will only be there if you chose a custom database location. No other settings or preferences are in the registry. They are all in the database.

That means you did not delete the database.

The wizard will only appear if you deleted the previous database. If it doesn’t appear, you did not delete the database.

By default, the database is the C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\ folder. That means you need to delete the C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\ folder. If you moved the database elsewhere, you will need to delete that folder instead.

Finally found out what the problem was. Shoutout to Olivia Rust from customer care!

The problem was not the C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client, but it was C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\LOCAL\eM Client. There were some files that were not deleted after unistall.

Anyway, thank you for all the help. Great support and great app. (Really didnt want to use Outlook haha).