Cannot delete used attachments

If I send attachment via eM Client and the mail is sent, I cannot delete the attachment from the computer because it says it’s in use in eM Client.

Client 9.2.1222 (ca10485)
Windows 11 21H2

jueves 08 diciembre 2022 :: 1300hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hey @SirRahikkala

In this case you will need to close & restart eMC

¡Buena suerte!

¡Saludos desde Sevilla la soleada en España!

skybat

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

That is not a fix but just ignoring the bug. How many times a day I want to shutdown and restart the app?

@SirRahikkala

I cannot delete the attachment from the computer because it says it’s in use in eM Client

Can you see the attachment in eM Client ? If you can, which folder or label do you see it in.

The attachment is attached to sent messages. I don’t any folders in eM client for them.

@SirRahikkala

The attachment is attached to sent messages

So you want to eg: delete the attachment “out of the sent message” ?

Or is it that the attachment on your computer outside of eM Client (that was attached to the sent email) cannot be deleted.

No. I want to delete the attachment from my computer. It stays reserved for the eM client after the mail has been sent and it releases the file lock after restarting the email client itself.

@SirRahikkala

No. I want to delete the attachment from my computer. It stays reserved for the eM client after the mail has been sent and it releases the file lock after restarting the email client itself.

Normally the original harddisk attachment “can be deleted” even with eM Client still open, “but not allways”. This is dependant on your OS how it uses “temporary memory” to attach / copy files etc. So apart from closing and reopening eM Client when it’s file locked as per @skybat already advised, you can also try closing eM Client and “clearing all your OS Temp files”. Then reboot your computer and see if that helps.

No it won’t help since I’ve reinstalled OS already once (other reasons) and I keep my machine up-to-date and cleaned since I work in IT (since 1998). There is a file lock bug all these suggestions are just to go around it.

@SirRahikkala

No it won’t help since I’ve reinstalled OS already once (other reasons) and I keep my machine up-to-date and cleaned since I work in IT (since 1998)

Have you ever been able to delete original sent folder attachments on you harddisk with eM Client still open ?

If you have been able to delete in the past, what version of eM Client did it work in last ?

The suggestions you are receiving are from other users in this forum and are an effort to help you get past the problem. If you want more, you should open a support ticket with eMC Support as they do have a ‘connection’ with the developers.

Version 8.x worked fine.

I will do that. Thanks! EDIT: it does not seem to have an option for “pro” licensees. Support | Remote Assistance | License Manager | eM Client

@SirRahikkala

Version 8.x worked fine

Ok I will do some testing on my V9.2.1222 and Win 11 (22H2) and see if I suffer the same problems.

Btw - Does this happen with any type of attachment or only specific attachments ?

Perhaps you need to subscribe ($$$$).

1 Like

If I recall right, all types of attachments. Last ones has been images and pdfs.

@SirRahikkala

If I recall right, all types of attachments. Last ones has been images and pdfs.

Ok ive just tested eM Client V9.2.1222 multiple times on two different computers running Windows 10 & 11 (while eM Client is still open), and sent emails with 3 different attachment file types (.jpg, .pdf & .zip) from my local harddisk c:\Temp folder, and (while eM Client is still open), “I have been able to delete all those attachments from my c:\Temp folder” (with no issues and no messages about the file is in use). So this problem you are experiencing is “nothing to do with eM Client” and “not a bug”.

So if you haven’t already, try “uninstalling and reinstalling eM Client” from the release history page, just incase when you upgraded it didn’t install 100% or something may not have gone quite right on the install. Note:- “Don’t delete the database” when asked on the uninstall wizard. Reboot after reinstalling.

Failing that there might be something running on your Win 11 in background tasks or resident causing this issue. Or you have something going on in your current Win 11 OS profile causing this. Or you may need to update to the (22H2) build of Win 11 which has been available from MS since Oct 2022. Lastly you might have an actual Windows problem and need to save your files and reset Windows like new.

I would first suggest to try updating your Windows 11 to (22H2) and do all the patches etc since then. I see you are still on (21H2) and there was alot of Microsoft OS things fixed with the (22H2) update.

Failing that try “disabling any optional non-OS background tasks from the startup” of Win 11 and reboot and see if that fixes the issue. Then you will know if it’s any of those optional non-OS programs causing the issue. Sometimes optional background programs running can interfere with mail clients.

Next suggest to “try a new test Windows 11 profile” and see if it works or still has the same problem.

Lastly, you may need to “save all your profile documents / files etc” and do the reset of Windows 11 where you can choose to “keep your files” and start brand new.

Note:- If you do try a reset of Win 11, “backup eM Client first” via “Menu / Backup”. You can see when the backup is completed via “Menu / Operations”. That creates a dated Backup.zip file in your Profile / Documents / eM Client folder which then can easily be restored once you get Windows back up and running via "Menu / File / Restore.