Cannot collect mail from email provider

From about 12.30 yesterday lunchtime, my partner Laura has been unable to collect her emails on POP3 from her email provider (plus.net) using eM Client. She can see these emails on her Android phone but wants use POP3 to keep her messages on her own computer. She can send mail with no problems.

Plusnet think there’s nothing wrong at their end since she can see them on her phone. I also have eM Client which I use to collect my emails with no problems.

I give an extract from the operations log:

20:38:37 [email protected] POP3 Connecting: To [email protected]
20:38:40 [email protected] POP3 Connected: To [email protected]
20:38:40 [email protected] POP3 Listing messages: From [email protected]
20:38:40 [email protected] POP3 Downloading messages: From [email protected]
20:53:43 [email protected] [POP3] MailClient.Storage.Application.OperationException: Connection terminated prematurely
at MailClient.Protocols.Pop3.Pop3ReceiveCommand.ReadMailStream(Stream netStream, Int32 messageSize, Action1 reportProgress, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at MailClient.Protocols.Pop3.Pop3ReceiveCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status) at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status) EnqueuedStackTrace = at MailClient.Protocols.Pop3.Pop3Account.<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<ReceiveAsync>b__0() at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.RunIfOnline(Action actionIfOnline, Action actionIfOffline) at MailClient.Protocols.Pop3.Pop3Account.ReceiveAsync(Action1 receivedItem, Action`1 completed, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.Accounts.BindingAccountBase.Receive()
at MailClient.Accounts.AccountManager.ReceiveAllInternal(Boolean checkIncludeInGlobalOperations)
at MailClient.Accounts.AccountManager.SendAndReceiveAll(Boolean checkIncludeInGlobalOperations)
at MailClient.Accounts.DesktopAccountManager.timerSendAndReceive_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, WM msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at Interop.User32.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.Interop.Mso.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(UIntPtr dwComponentID, msoloop uReason, Void* pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(msoloop reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(msoloop reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(ApplicationContext context)
at MailClient.Program.<>c.b__173_3()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at MailClient.Common.UI.Forms.BaseForm.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, WM msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at Xilium.CefGlue.Interop.libcef.run_message_loop()
at MailClient.Program.Main(String[] args)
GUIStatus_Exception_Reported = True

Any ideas?

Thanks

Peter Oates

(1) Try temporarily turning off VPN and Anti-virus software and rebooting the router
(2) Screen shots of the account’s POP3 setting, minus any personal info, would be helpful
(3) Try closing and re-starting eMC and computer?
(4) Are backups, via eMC, being done daily (ensure you know which backup reflects eMC prior to the problem, just in case if all else fails an uninstallation and re-install may be required.

Thanks for your reply to my question.

I tried turning off Norton on Laura’s computer and rebooting the router to no avail (not using VPN at present). The computer and eMC were both turned on and off on numerous occasions. Again no success.

Using webmail on Plusnet we could see the undelivered emails. It was decided to delete emails that Plusnet had labelled as spam and then try to download those that remained. When these had all been deleted, the remainder would still not download. So Laura looked at those she didn’t want to see anyway, trying to download every so often. Eventually, we successfully downloaded around 40 emails having deleted about 50 emails that were not wanted. It would seem that one email was causing eM Client’s ownload attempts to fail. Which one we don’t know for sure but it might have been one from Britbox.

So this adds another potential cause of download failure. I detail our method of overcoming the problem as it might help other users in future.

Peter