Can not restore from backup

When I try to restore I get the following message:

System.IO.IOException: Access to the path ‘C:\Users\Richard & Janet\AppData\Roaming\eM Client’ is denied.
at System.IO.FileSystem.MoveDirectory(String sourceFullPath, String destFullPath)
at System.IO.Directory.Move(String sourceDirName, String destDirName)
at MailClient.DbBackup.FormBackup.Restore(String backupFile, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.DbBackup.FormBackup.Restore(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.DbBackup.FormBackup.<>c__DisplayClass27_0.<MainForm_Load>b__0(Object a, DoWorkEventArgs b)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

I have re-installed em-client to try and sort this out, but it’s just the same. I have tried with the backup file on my NAS system, then from a folder on the desktop and also from a Seagate expansion drive, but get the similar message.

Sounds like your eM Client backup.zip file you are restoring from “is in the AppData\Roaming\eM Client hidden folder”.

Normally to restore an eM Client backup by default, you would put the backup.zip file in the “Documents\eM Client folder” and then click “Menu / File / Restore” which will then update the eM Client AppData\Roaming\eM Client hidden folder so you won’t then get any denied errors.

Or if you haven’t been doing backups from eM Client and are just restoring the eM Client hidden folder manually from another drive snapshot, then you would close eM Client and then delete the contents of the newly installed eM Client roaming hidden folder, and then replace it with your snapshot backed up hidden folder contents. and finally then reopen eM Client which will then be the same as it was before.

Thanks cyberzork, not sure quite what I did, but I can now restore.

1 Like