Caldav sync, temporary folders & Thunderbird migration

Hi!
I am currently evaluating eM client to replace Outlook and Thunderbird on my devices. I have the following questions I couldn’t answer searching the forums:

• My caldav calendars are hosted on my NAS. Since I don’t want the NAS to wake up from hibernation everytime I enter the calendar view, I’d like to know if there is a possibility to turn off automatic syncing. (I tried to uncheck the service in the accounts menu, but then the calendars disappear completely)

• Is there a way to temporarily integrate local folders? I use this feature in Outlook a lot, to keep my e-mail archive on the NAS also, and only integrate it if I have to search for some older mails.

• Is there a way to migrate my data (local folders, not IMAP) from eM client directly to Thunderbird? This is a fallback option only, in case eM client should fail me -currently I have a working archive of e-mails that I know can be migrated to the two clients I’m using, I’m afraid to get stuck in a dead-end street if I decide to switch to eM completely…

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, you should be able to use the Offline mode to view your calendars while your NAS server is offline or in hybernation. To switch to offline mode, go to File > Work offline, all synchronized data should be available.
You can import data into local folders, all you need is to enable local folders in eM Client’s settings under Tools > Settings > Show local folders.

You can not migrate your data into Thunderbird, however you can export all data into standard formats, such as .eml/.ics or .vcf files for your emails, calendar and tasks or contacts. You should than be able to import this data into Thunderbird or any other email client.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Hi Paul,
  wow, that was quick! Thank you for your response!
Maybe I should have been more precise in what I am searching for. Let me try to explain:

Switching to offline mode is not a real alternative, because I still want eM client to check for new mails. I’ll keep the client open all the time while I’m working on my computer. During that time there is no need to update the calendar on the server. At best, I would want to click one button once I’m done, so the calendar on the server gets updated and will be current if I use another device (after some pain I got this working with Android and Outlook, so I hope eM client also has this kind of functionality somehwere).

Regarding the local folders I’m asking for a temporary connection. I’m sorry, but I can only refer to Outlook to explain this: I want to archive my older emails into a separate file. As long as I don’t need access to that file, I want to “unhook” it from the client, so it’s not accessed in normal operation and can be stored offline (e.g. thumbdrive), but of course it mustn’t be deleted using that feature. If I need access to the archive, I want to be able to provide the file and integrate it again (as a separate folder). Is that possible?

I guess the migration question isn’t that pressing, since I know about the export functions to filetypes you mentioned. It’s just all these conversions that make me a little afraid :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Ingo

Hi again Ingo, unfortunately it is not possible to temporarily disable the calendar sync. As to the local folder question, it is not possible to create a separate file containing your archive, however you should be able to export your messages into .eml files (email message file) and save them to an existing folder. Or you can setup a new database that would contain these file only.

To setup a new database, you can setup a new storage directory in Tools > Settings > General > Storage, note that by changing the path on your next application reopening you’ll be able to setup your account as if you downloaded the application for the first time, you can enable local folders and import your data, after you’re done with the import, just navigate back to the storage and setup the original path to your original database (located in your Roaming folder, please make sure to remember or write down the original database path).

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Hi Paul,
  thank you again for your support!
Final question: Are you aware of any updates that would possibly affect these functionalities?

Best,
Ingo

Hi again Ingo, I’m not completely sure what you’re referring to, what abilities do you have in mind and how would you define ''affect"?
In terms of improvement, we’re working on a new release of eM Client that may change the whole perception of the application, however it’s release is expected for Q1/Q2 of 2015.

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul,
  I’m referring to the possibility to temporarily connect (remote) data files and the manual mode for Caldav synchronization.
Do you know if there will be changes regarding these two options in the new release?

Thanks,
Ingo

Hi again Ingo, I’m not aware of such features being included in the upcoming updates of the application, maybe with some future releases.

Thank you,
Paul.