Avast One Essentials and emClient

Hi all, Avast have launched a new product called Avast One. The free version is called Avast One Essentials and I wanted to understand if there will be any integration issues with this andemClient (with regard to HTTPS scanning). I have looked inot the Avast One Essential program and the Geek Area seems to be gone and I wonder if it even has a dedicated HTTPS scanning for email anymore? There seems to be no way to export a certificate from within Avast One Essential.

Has anyone got emClient V9 and Avast One Essentials run and tested?
Avast will be moving everyone over to this newly designed product very soon. It is the default Avast now on the download page.

I hope it has been removed (the https bit) as this then will mean that Avast One Essential can be put back on the list of AV that can work with emClient.

Thanks
Paul

I guess the only way to know is try it and see what happens.

1 Like

Hi,

I am testing as we speak. Seems to be working :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just found this on the Avast Website so hope this is useful to folk. It specifically mentions that the Mail Shield is no longer part of the product.:

• You continue to have access to most device protection features that are included in Avast Free Antivirus.

• You gain limited access to online privacy and performance features such as:

• VPN Secure Connection
    • Clear Browsing Data
    • Data Breach Check
    • PC Speedup
    • Software Updater
  • You lose access to the following features that are not included in Avast One:

• Wi-Fi Inspector
      *** Mail Shield**
    • Rescue Disk
    • Do Not Disturb Mode

Ah ok. The Mail Shield was generally the issue where you either had to “disable it” or “do an exception” so that must be how it’s now working as it’s no longer there so won’t interfere.

miércoles 02 marzo 2022 :: 1405hrs (UTC +01:00)

The first thing that you need to remember is that there is no such thing as a free meal; plus with some companies, even with paid for versions, there are strings attached.
We, and thousands of seats within our client companies used to be users of Ccleaner when it was a Piriform product, it is now Avast owned - we and our clients no longer use Ccleaner, you can draw your own conclusions from this.
We will not use any Avast products or accept any client for support who will not divest themselves of their products.
It all started when

Avast Collected and Sold Their Client Browsing History!

By default, Avast collected your web browsing activity and offered it to marketeers through their subsidiary named Jumpshot.
Companies who paid Avast/Jumpshot could view full “clickstream data” to see what Avast users were doing online.

The data collected was so granular that Jumpshot clients could view the individual clicks that Avast users made on their browsing sessions, including the time right down to the millisecond.

The collected data was linked to a person’s name, email and or IP address. Each user history was assigned to an identifier called the device ID, which persisted unless the user uninstalled the Avast antivirus product.

Not that we have anything to hide, we simply have very strong opinions about this sort of activity and why we took this stance about my personal computers and company systems.
Further that my company could not have offered the security that we do to our government, banking, insurance, military and blue chip clients, and potentially lose their trust.

This may not directly relate to the issue raised, whatever the outcome of the effect of the new Avast products we nor any of our clients will not be concerned with ‘will it work with eMC’

¥Saludos desde la soleada Sevilla en España!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

1 Like

It really is not relevant to this question :slight_smile:
And - Avast is now owned by Norton! Norton and Avast Merge: What Does This Mean for Online Security?.

I think we all know that there is no such thing as a free lunch - ha ha!

If it is any comfort (probably not) - Avast One Essentials (free) “seems” to be rather less pushy than the Avast Free Antivirus is. That can only be a good thing - maybe they are mending their ways.

What you can’t argue with is the very strong detection rates. and, finally, if it is a choice between that and Kaspersky Free - I think I know which one I would go for (now that Bitdefender Free is “no more”).

Me personally - I purchased a 15 month 10 seat licence for Norton 360 for ÂŁ18 - which gets very well rated and for that price who can argue. I was on Kaspersky Free until the last 2 weeks happened.

If you look at any AV (Paid or Free) there are always a bunch of evangalists and a bunch of “I will never use aaa or bbb because of ccc or ddd” but one has to make his own informed descision.

I read @skybat 's scathing review of Avast and felt he was too kind. Within a fairly wide group of computer consultants I work with, Avast is generally considered the worst, beating out McAfee, which is really difficult. Detection rate isn’t important if it screws up your computer and conflicts with other software and has many false positives. The opinion on Avast and McAfee is not just me. It is widely accepted among those other consultants I work with.

If you want a FREE antivirus, the one built into Windows is probably the best. Windows defender isn’t bad and programs work hard to make sure they are compatible with it. I have my clients pay for antivirus and am happy with most of them, but don’t know of a free one that is worth the price.

1 Like

I also use the built-in Windows defender in Windows security and find it works great.

1 Like

I will agree with what was said here where if you want a good free antivirus solution for Windows, your best bet is the included Windows Defender. It has come a long way over the years. I personally recommended Windows Defender to anybody wanting to replace their current virus scanner. I agree with the prior statement made that detection rate isn’t as important when it screws up all your other software. Windows Defender offers a good balance between not screwing with your software and providing a good detection rate.

It is never good to build a monopoly. Only competition allows quality to be maintained.
This is why I don’t use Microsoft Defender.

I agree about Avast but only to a point. The detection rates, false positive rates and system impact rates are some of the best (be it free or paid) and that is borne out by Avcomparatives and AVTest and other testing organisations. It is also consistently in the top tier. The only reason not to use it is the PC Speedup feature (or PC Optimisation as it used to be called) is a terrible dogs dinner of a feature and I call it the “destroyer of computers”. Optimisers like this are a blunt tool and they don’t work - its that simple - if you want to optimise your computer then learn how to do it yourself (properly) or get a local repair person to give it an annual spring clean and do it for you.
I also feel any driver updater is similarly a bad thing and also any software updater. The user needs to understand the drivers that are being updated as newest is rarely best and in some cases it can kill a perfectly good and working computer. They also need to understand the programs they are updating and any implications it may have on the system.

For my customers, I advise that they disable all three of these. If they can cope with not using those features and can cope with the upsell messages then it is a perfectly good antivirus. If they can’t cope with that then I advise they either get a good paid alternative (such as Norton 360 or others) or stick with Microsoft Defender and hope for the best.

I disagree about Microsoft Defender (as its called now) - I would not trust Microsoft to look after my security alone. I just don’t trust their competancy or focus in this area. Sure - it is better than nothing and a lot better than it used to be. It is also very poor on system impact - many people have fairly low-end computers in my part of the world and installing just about anyting else (apart from Bitdefender) speeds their machine up (if they have 4Gb RAM and a slow CPU). See here: https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/performance-test-october-2021/ Chart below - bigger bar is worse: