Automatic update destroys everything

I just started EM Client for today and it starts with a complete new version, I have no access to my e-mails itself and contacts are not there.

At this moment I can see my e-mails still via Gmail.com, but cannot make new ones as my addressbook has gone.

How can I return to yesterdays situation?

Please answer via [email protected].

Regards, Piet de Geus

Netherlands

Sounds like something has happened to your local eM Client hidden database if you cannot access email and also your contacts are gone when you open it. Thats very unusual.

First suggest to try shutting down and rebooting your computer. Just incase its a computer memory glitch etc.

If rebooting your computer makes no difference, reopen eM Client and then if you have been regularly backing up eM Client either manually via the Menu or automatically backing it up via the Settings, then go to “Menu / File / Restore” (Pc) or “File / Restore” (Mac) which will bring up a list of your recent dated .zip backup files to restore which will then get you back up and running. Any new messages since the backup will update to eM Client when it next syncs.

However if you haven’t been making backups in eM Client and you are using Gmail as a normal IMAP account (Non Pop), then suggest to “just remove the Gmail account and re-add it via the automatic email wizard” at the top of “Menu / Accounts” (Pc) or “eM Client / Accounts” (Mac). Remember to click the “Allow” browser popup button at the end of the automatic email wizard, to give eM Client access to your Gmail / Google account. That should then start synching all your mail and contacts etc.

If that still doesn’t work, uninstall eM Client and “delete the database” when asked on the uninstall wizard. Then redownload “the same or later version of eM Client” from the release history page and readd your Gmail account as new again. All your Gmail messages and contacts should then re-appear.

Hi Cyberzork,
Attached a screenshot of when I start EM Client.

Rebooting gives the same result. After downloading the current version and trying to install it it lets me only Repair the application. But immediately after starting that it stops, saying that there is something that prohibits the installation.
I am afraid that I am going to loose all mailfiles when I uninstall the application. Is there a way to protect them?

Hi Cyberzork,
I also discovered that somehow just before the problem occurred a kind of back-up folder has been created,

This is that folder:

None of your screenshots appear to be showing in your last 3 posts. They are broken images. Can you edit your posts with images / pictures and try pasting or inserting the pics again.

I am afraid that I am going to loose all mailfiles when I uninstall the application. Is there a way to protect them?

If you use Gmail as a normal IMAP account, and have “no messages or message folders in eM Client Local folders at the bottom left”, then you won’t loose any messages / emails if you have to uninstall eM Client and delete the eM Client database, as all your messages and folders are stored on the Gmail server end and not local.

So all depends if you have any messages or message folders in Local Folders at the bottom left of eM Client.

Now “if you do have messages in eM Client Local Folders at the bottom left”, then “before you uninstall eM Client and delete the database”, Create a folder on your desktop called eg: Old Mail, and then drag or move the messages and messages folders “exactly as they are” from Local folders to the Old mail folder on your desktop.

Then after you have uninstalled eM Client and deleted the database and then reinstalled eM Client and re-added your account, then drag all your Old Mail messages and message folders from your desktop “exactly as they are” back into eM Client Local Folders. It will then be the same.