Automatic S/MIME certificate import & Encryption

I’d love to use eM Client as my Gmail client, but what’s holding me back right now is the lack of automation in S/MIME support. I’d like to see eM Client automatically import S/MIME certificates if possible, but most importantly I don’t want to have to decide on a case by case basis whether to encrypt an outgoing e-mail. eM Client should automatically encrypt outgoing messages sent to contacts I have a public key for, and not encrypt otherwise. That would be in addition to automatically signing all outgoing messages with my private key.

Hello,

eM Client can automatically encrypt S/MIME messages, but it still needs you to ask for import/export encryption, that is security must for this function to have a meaning.

that second part, auto encryption only for your contacts with public key is not possible and not planned.

regards
Jan

I totally agree to Phong Le!

Currently, it is possible to “enforce” encryption. However, this is unusable, because it is not possible to send email to a contact without certificate.

The other option is NOT to enforce encryption. Now, it is necessary to push a button each time I want to encrypt a message. It is easy to forget that!

Both ways are not user-friendly. There should be a way to “encrypt when possible (i.e. when there is a S/MIME certificate for that contact)”!

Have a look at OSX-Mail. This time, Apple did it right! The message will be encrypted when possible and sent without encryption, when not. It is easy to see in the message, what status it is.

I hope that you will change/add that option!

I fully agree with Phong Le and Roland!

It is far to error-prone to use the S/MIME encryption with eM Client. The encryption should be automatically enabled when there is a public key for the receiver.

I already have sent an unencrypted email with sensitive information accidentally because I have forgotten to enable the encryption myself.

Sending unintentionally unencrypted emails with sensitive information can lead to damage with serious consequences!

I’m very impressed by eM Client and I like it a lot but this issue is unfortunately a criterion for exclusion for me (and I believe for others that want to use encryption, too).

Considering the low amount of effort for the implementation of this feature I couldn’t understand why this feature would not be implemented (->After an email receiver is selected in the editor, check if there is a public key for the receiver in the repository and if there is one then enable encryption plus a change in the GUI settings to allow to activate this feature)

Best regards

+1
I agree strongly with this idea.

We need the option to have encryption enabled automatically for recipients whose public key we already know. It doesn’t need to be the Default, though. John, I don’t see how this is “impossible”.

Also, auto-import of new public keys with a valid trusted certificate would make sense to me.

If emClient team takes email security seriously, efforts to make the already present features more usable should at least be considered.

please refer to official post.

Jan

+1
This is the topic I was looking for. I’d love to see “encrypt if possible” too, because it helps to communicate securely in a userfriendly way.

Yours, Tipuraneo

Need the certificate included in the vCard X509 attribute, too.

Currently, it’s stored in the Certificate Store and nothing else is done with it.

If we bother to put it into a contact, it’s mandatory that it be in the vCard. One of the majore features of this system is CalDAV, and CardDAV.

Why do I have to manage two sets of certs? One on my mobile and another on my desktop; and, vice versa?

Another point is this: Why bother putting external smime certs in the Windows Cert Store? Certs within the enterprise should go there; and, they are. But, external certs should be stored with external contacts.

The mechanism of cert storage is not logical.

FYI… IF YOU WERE TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE(S), I COULD HELP YOU SELL A LOT OF COPIES OF THIS SOFTWARE. IT’S PRETTY NICE. BUT THIS IS A MAJOR HANGUP FOR ENTERPRISE CUSTOMERS. FOOD FOR SERIOUS THOUGHT.

Any changes on future plans for this? I’d love to see auto encryption. Often people miss encryption even though it would be possible.

Hi, the feature is currently not being considered for implementation, maybe in future releases.

Thank you,
Paul.

This is now 5 years old and there is still no solution.
If em client finds a public key the mail should be encrypted.
Even if I answer to an encrypted mail, the answer remains unencrypted if I forgot to use the encryption button.
Thunderbird can do this for years this is the only function which I miss in em client compared to TB