Automatic Backup Does Not Run

Hello
Thanks for the Feedback. 
You say the backup is performed in a 24 hr. Interval, but why start eM client with me earlier (here 09.50 clock), I wonder if I’ve done the last backup manually at 11.27 clock? These are not 24 hours. 
Is also nice to hear that you want to enhance the backup to a newer version. 
I would like to run the backup regardless of whether eM Client or not, if it can be executed on schedule possible. And all this in the background. 
This Text was translated with Google. 
Thank you 
D. B.

Hi, this may not be translated well, the backup is setup to be performed “once in a day” so it should be within a 24 hour interval since your last backup. Not after 24 hours but once within the 24 hours, this is because eM Client may not be turned on after 24 hours but the user will probably turn on the application at least once a day (if not, the backup will try to be performed in your next session).

As I previously stated it is currently not possible to let the backup perform while the application is still running, but we’re considering adding an option to run the backup on startup or shutdown of the application.

Hope this clears it,
Paul.

Hello
Ok, I want say may Thanks for your Help.
Now I ́m waiting for new and better Version of eM Client
d.B

Sure, please feel free to let us know if you come across any other issues or questions, we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi D.B.,

See the following thread for more info and screen shots how to use the Windows Task Scheduler to schedule the backups done by eM Client:

https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/add_day_of_the_week_and_time_to_auto_backup

Hello 
Thanks for the Feedback and the Link. 
But I have a Problem, I use the portable Version of eM Client. I can not see any Task as on the screen shoot. 
What do I do with the portable Version? How do I create as a separate Task? 
This morning I again get the error message posted, although I have the backup set to 11.30 clock. Of course I started to retrieve my e-mails eM Client, and shortly after said error message came via a pop. 
Thank you. 
D. B.

Hi again, are you describing a separate issue? I believe we have discussed the issues with backup, but I’m not sure if you’re having another issue with the application… Are you having some problems with your POP account? Are you seeing any errors?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hello 
No, I have no problems with my POP account. I have two e-mail accounts, and can send and receive without problems with both accounts. I only have problems with the automatic backup, see error message. The e-mail program is otherwise TOP! 
Thank you. 
D. B.

Ok, in that case just as I noted, please be patient, we’re working on improvements for future releases.

Best regards,
Paul.

Hello
 Before I make a new Thread on here I wanted to again because of the auto. Report backups. 
If the autom. Backup also executed if the Start time has already elapsed? My Start Time is as set at 10.00 Clock, but I start my Computer, for example, only at 11.00 clock. If the Backup set later be executed? The way I see it with me, the auto is. Backup apparently not started. 
Thank you. 
D. B.
“This Text was translated by Google”.

Hi, the backup will try to start at the time it’s setup to start in the Task Scheduler, I believe that if the time is missed (while the computer is turned off), the backup will only be ran at the next opportunity when the Task Scheduler can match the Task with the setup time.

Thank you,
Paul.

Hello 
Thanks for the Feedback. 
And it works! I just wonder if you understand your Program correctly. 
I have the automatic. Backup set at 09.30 clock. Yesterday I spent the whole day not on the PC. Today I started the Computer at 10:00 clock. em Client is out !!! And about ca. 3 minutes later, the autom. was. Backup running. The refuted but here the Statement that the autom. Backup is performed only to the Date, as it is set. Or have I misunderstood something now? 
The rest I used currently the new Windows Technical Preview, where there is a nice new Feature that is called “Notification”. This shows very nice, if a Task, automatic here. Backup of eM Client. Very great decor. 
This Text was translated with Google. 
greeting 
D. B.

Hi again, I’m sorry for my mistake, unfortunately I was not completely sure about the Task Scheduler settings (it is a windows feature).
Thank you for clearing this up, I’ve consulted this with my colleague and as you said, the backup should run as soon as the system starts, if the original time is missed.

Thank you,
Paul.

I know this post is 11 months old and this thread is over 2 years old, but…  I have this same problem.  I read your thread on changing the the details in Windows Task Manager, which I have done.  I set the backup to run at a more convenient time.  But doing all of this is pointless if EM Client still requires the app to be closed first.  I get all the reasons they say it needs to be closed but a TON of other apps that have open files and open DB’s can be backed up just fine while running.  I use EM Client like what I believe to be the far majority of people and have EM Client set to run on Windows login and I don’t ever shut it down.  If EM Client wants more paying customers they have got to get on these features that simply are expected these days.  We’ve been waiting for other features as well and all we ever get is “It will be in the next version” or “we are working on a better way to handle this”, etc.  Frankly, I’m getting pretty tired of hearing those answers and I’ve only been using EM Client for a little less than a year.  If you gave an option in your app to enable automated backups, then don’t you think your app should be app to handle doing them?  Automatically shut down the email app unless there is unsaved data, do the damn backup, then restart the app.  Applications have been handling backups for a decades with open files.  While you’re at it, EM Client, please stop promising the new features people are asking for and start delivering them.  Sorry to be brutal, but come on guys.

Hello, unfortunately the backup feature is not currently most up to date, however we’re working on improving this in future release. I’m sorry to say this but we’re working on new features each day and developers are working hard, however even though it may not look that way, we’re quite a small team and thus developer time is very valuable to us and we have to make decisions what comes first, it’s hard to please everyone right now.

But I can assure you that we’re working on improving this in future.

Regards,

I get the same error when I try to use the backup function.

Has there been any progress on improving the backup facilities of emClient?  We run emClient and are constantly getting the “emClient is running” error on startup of the laptop and then emClient.  What is worse is that we have a lot of historic emails and emClient takes an extraordinarily long time to complete the backup.  We often have to wait 10-20 minutes for emClient backups to complete and allow us to use the email system.

This is quite an old thread.

Currently backups are run in the background, and you should be able to use the application normally while that is happening. That was introduced in 7.1 about 7 months back.

If you are using an older version of eM Client, consider upgrading for these benefits.

The current released version is available at http://www.emclient.com/release-history

Thanks for the reply.  Yes you are correct, I am using version 6.  I will update.