Automatic Backup Does Not Run

I have backup selected to run each day. Every day, I receive an error that the backup must be started from within the program. eM Client is always open on the Win7 Pro desktop. What is wrong?

Hi,
sorry for the delayed reply. Can you please post here a screenshot of the error message? Thank you.

Hallo
I ́m from Germany.
I become the same message. It ́s pop up a window with the same message from @Alan Auerbach. My System is Windows 8.1. Sorry for my bad english.

Hi, I’m not completely sure what you’re referring to, please note the above post is over a year old.
Are you having some issues with the application, can you please comment on what version of eM client are you currently using and what errors you might be seeing? Or possibly create a screenshot of the issue?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hello
 Thanks for the Feedback. I know that the thread already about one Year there, but since I have the same Problem I thought to myself here to continue. My em client Version is the 6.0.1986.1.0. 
My Problem is that when em Client is running, and then later an automatic backup is made, I get a Window message that already run an application, and this should be closed. Unfortunately I can offer no screenshot. I hope I have made ​​myself clear. 
This Text was translated by Google. 
Thank you.

Hello, here I am again.
I have just received the error message. 
I started eM Client, and shortly after this error message came. The backup interval I have set to 1 Day. 
http://www.pic-upload.de/view-24886762/fehler.jpg.html
And now? 
Thank you. 
D. B.

Hello
Has no one here a solution to my problem, because I have just again get the error message posted. Can it be, if eM Client is running, and then autom. Want to make backup that then comes this error message. I also believe that the time of the auto. Backups plays a major role. 
Please urgent help. 
This text was translated with Google. 
Thank you. 
D. B.

Hi D.B.

Was eM Client running when the automatic backup was started?

Maybe you did close eM Client, but it was still running as a process? You can check this with the Task Manager.

Hello
Yes, eMClient was started. If I understand correctly, eMClient must be closed for the automatic backup can start. Right? 
I think so but not good. When a new Version you should consider whether you can run the autom. Backup to any situation. Also a time specified for backup would not be bad. 
Thank you. 
This text was translated with Google. 
D. B.

Hi D.B.,

eM Client should NOT be running for the backup to work correctly.

You can specify a lot of settings for the auto backup, but you will have to use the default Windows Scheduler for that.

I’ve written about that in another thread in this forum. Hope you can find that (I don’t have time now to look for it, sorry).

Hello
Thanks for the Feedback. 
The eM Client is not allowed to run is already aware of. But how do I set eM Client to enable automatic backup runs without error? 
I have mentioned how the Backup Interval to stand for 1 Day. 
It should be programmed so that the backup starts without error message but for later versions eM Client. 
It is indeed with other backup Programs without Problems. Example the Backup under Windows. The runs in the Background while I work on the PC, and this inconspicuous without error Message. 
This text was translated by Google. 
Thanks for your help. 
D. B.

Hi again, since the backup tool has to backup your complete database, eM Client has to shut down since it would be accessing and overwriting the database files while the backup would be performed, this could of course cause trouble when accessing the backup, database files might get corrupt when multiple tools would access the same data.

We’re currently considering improvements for this feature, mainly due to reliability on the Windows Task Scheduler, however with the current setup this can not be changed and you have to close the application prior to performing backup.

Also I’ve noticed you’re using an older version of eM client, you can try to update to this, more recent release http://www.emclient.com/dist/v6.0.21015/setup.msi to avoid any issues fixed in the past releases.

Thank you for understanding,
Paul.

Hello
Thanks for the Feedback, 
But the linked Version works exactly like my old version. It then comes the error message, if eM Client is running. 
I’ll probably have to pay it, that eM Client is closed during a backup Operation or closed. 
Somehow stupid, because it can safely remove even better. Unfortunately, I’m not a Programmer. 
Nevertheless, thanks for the help. 
The text was translated with Google as always. 
D. B.

Hi again, yes just as I previously stated, this was not changed, this is an intended behavior of the backup feature in current versions of eM Client.
The update however contains many useful bug fixes for other features.

Paul.

Another me too comment, I see the same thing the client must not be running for the backup to run. I should point out that most everyone leaves their e-mail client running anytime they are on the computer. So having an automatic setting really is unlikely to hit a good time to do a backup even a simple majority of the time for most people I know. It would be much better to open a dialog that says something like em Client would like to backup your mail boxes, then offer a proceed button that does a clean shutdown and terminates ALL tasks that it needs to terminate to allow the backup to proceed.

But I also have two other twists. Shutting down the em Client still does not allow the backup to run. I am sure there is a process that must still be running, but it isn’t anything labeled as em Client in the Task Manager so I can’t find it to close it.

Then another odd bit, once you exit em Client I can’t re-start it. Nothing happens when you double click the button. It doesn’t launch, no obvious processes start. The only way to re-open the client is to reboot the computer.

Hi, if you can not reopen eM Client after closing, can you please run the eM Stack Dump Tool (http://www.emclient.com/tools/emstackdump.exe) and send me the output file, once the stack dump is created?
Also please include a reference link to this forum topic.

As I previously noted, the backup feature currently has it’s downsides, we’re looking forward to improving the feature in future releases, however please note it may take some time.

Paul.

Ok, will do. I already re-booted and I am up for the day. Messed with it a bit too much already, but I’ll turn the automatic back up setting back on and it will hit again in a couple of days.

Just as I noted in my previous posts, you can adjust the time/date when the Backup is run in Windows Task Scheduler to keep out of the random.
Also if you’re prompted eM Client would like to perform Backup, you don’t have to dismiss the window, if you keep it behind, you can close eM client and perform the backup anytime you want.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Hello
 I do not understand the whole story about the backup function in eM Client quite. It is clear to me, eM Client must be closed for backup. OK. That’s why I just got back the beautiful posted error message. Since I’ve my backup interval set to one day, I do not understand why now comes the error message. The last manual backup I had made at 11.27 clock yesterday. 
In my understanding, and my backup settings the next automatic backup but would only be carried out today to 11.27 clock. 
Why does eM Client but now (09.50 clock) backup? 
All this is too high for me. 
This text was translated by Google as always. 
Thank you 
D. B.

If the backup feature is set to be performed once a day, the backup tool tries to perform the backup once in 24 hours.
Again as I mentioned before for better scheduling users are currently forced to use the Task Scheduler utility in Windows, however once again just as I noted before, the Backup Tool is currently being worked on and should be improved in future releases.

Paul.