Auto-compressing attachments

When I was still using Windows, Word and Outlook, I had found a really excellent little add-on to Outlook that enabled be to send huge attachments without any additional steps. I needed it because many of my M$Word documents were very large, but it worked for ANY attachment, not just a .DOC or .DOCX file.

The documents I prepare are nearly always at least 20MB, and they sometimes reach 100MB. This can cause huge difficulties when sending them by email. With Windows, Word and Outlook, I have had to resort to such strategies as (a) using file splitter software, (b) stripping out all photos and sending them separately, for recipients to paste back in, © preparing each chapter as a separate document, (d) sending them with 96dpi photos, and sending 300dpi printed copies by post, (e) sending .PDF versions only, with file compression, (f) saving the v long .doc or .docx files, then compressing them with self-extracting archiver software, etc…

ALL this was always a real pain in the a–e, until, FINALLY, I found a brilliant better way.

The add-on I found was brilliant. I cannot remember its name because I’ve been a Linux-only user for the last 5 years (I use eM with WINE), but here is what the add-on did: It automatically cut-in whenever I attached a very large document, with an extra option to COMPRESS it. The compressed version of the document was a self-extracting archive. The filename remained the same. The file size was often massively reduced.

When the recipient then saved the incoming email attachment its reduced size stayed the same. But when opening it, using M$Word or a Word viewer, or a photo viewer etc, the archive-file ‘self-extracted’ to its original size in memory. In other words, the process was equally invisible, both to the file creator-saver-sender, and to the file receiver-saver-opener.

How large the reduction in size was varied, of course, depending on how well-compressed the attachment was already. A .jpg file usually did not compress much, if at all, but M$Word documents with a lot of embedded photos - including embedded .JPGs, and including docs in which Word had compressed the photos, were compressed A LOT! Almost ANY M$Word document, whether it was 25MB or 85MB, I could nearly always send by email, with no additional effort, because this add-on could always get them down to under 20MB and usually to under 10MB.

SO HERE’s MY FEATURE REQUEST:
Provide this as a built-in feature of eM Client.
AFAIK, no other email client has this feature built in. Do it, eM developers, and extend your lead!!

John

I would use a cloud service to upload the big file and then send the link. Only if that is not an option, I would just zip the file manually before sending it by email. I would not expect an email client to do this for me. Just my 0.02 €.