Authentication failed/credentials rejected

eM Client was working fine, no issues. I had to change my password with my email provider (Virgin Media) and it then rejected it. I’ve done the following:

• confirmed the username is correct (my email)
  • reset the password again and ensured it works with online mail - this all OK. The password is 19 characters (upper and lower case, special characters and numbers)
  • confirmed the IMAP settings (host: imap.virginmedia.com on port 993 using SSL/TLS on special port (legacy). Set to use identity credentials
  • confirmed the SMTP settings (host: smtp.virginmedia.com on port 465 using SSL/TLS on special port (legacy). Set to use identity credentials
  • deleted the account completely and attempted to add it again, this now fails
  • used the diagnostic/fix tools, but they provide no resolution either.

I have the app on my phone (Android) and it is working fine, I can access all emails and the folders etc.

Am I missing something obvious?!

Your settings looks ok from Googling Virgin Media IMAP mail settings.

Did you try using the “automatic email wizard” setup, or just setup the account manually ?

If you haven’t tried the add account / automatic email wizard setup, try that.

I have exactly the same problem, Dave. Mine works fine on iphone, not on mac.

I daren’t uninstall and reinstall EM Client as my OS won’t support the latest version so I’d have to get it from the download history.

This only ever happens when Virgin make you update your password. As the email telling you that doesn’t arrive as they lock your account really doesn’t help.

This time it coincided with Virgin having a big outtage last weekend, although that shouldn’t have anything to do with it. If that happens, sometimes you get the credentials failed message for ages, then it suddenly clears itself an all your emails arrive without you doing anything. Not this time.

Other email accounts that I run in EM Client are working fine.

Any ideas?

@Dave_Page & @moorehypno

This will be why when you changed your Virgin media mail password, eM Client then failed to authenticate as you now have to generate an app specific password to use for any mail clients.

(Virgin media mail announcement).

“Virgin Media have recently made a change to their email service which means that when you reset a VM email password you now have to generate an app specific password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email address via any third party email apps or clients on all your devices”.

1 Like

Brilliant, thanks so much for that. I’m back up and running.

NOTES FOR OTHERS WHO MIGHT FIND THEIR WAY HERE…

Go to virginmedia.com and log into email
Account Settings
Virgin Media Mail Settings
App password
Generate new password and copy it.
Go to your virgin account settings in EM Client
Paste in the new app password in General, IMAP and SMTP then Save and Close.
Refresh emails
Pop up will appear asking for password. Insert app password again.
Sorted.
If not (my incoming worked but not outgoing) go to Diagnostics then Fix for any issues with ports etc.
Write down these instructions for next time!!!

Thanks again @cyberzork

1 Like

IMAP settings on port 993 using SSL/TLS on special port (legacy). Set to use identity credentials
SMTP settings on port 587 using Force usage of SSL/TLS). Set to use identity credentials
[/quote]