Attempt To Connect Failed - Intermittent

Hi there, as of the last few months, I am intermittently seeing an error box pop up showing that “An attempt to connect failed”. The problem is intermittent and definitely an eM Client issue as I have tested with other email clients with no problems. I have also tested by installing eM Client on different computers with different accounts and the problem continues to appear intermittently. My accounts are both regular Gmail and Google Workspace accounts. Also, to get past this problem is just a matter of ignoring the error and refreshing the account.

Is there a way to get this fixed or is a fix in the works from eM Client? Thanks very much.

Have you tried disabling your antivirus and VPN apps to see if these actions have any effect on the “intermittent problem”?

Assuming you are using IMAP, have you tried removing the account and re-adding the account?

Have you ensured that there are no updates available for your version of eMC?

Yes, I’ve tried everything with no success. The problem happens numerous times throughout the day and only when sending. I have tested many different scenarios including different PCs and accounts. All results were the same. The frustrating part is that I installed Thunderbird this past weekend to see how that worked and it worked with no problems at all. Definitely an eM Client problem and would be nice to see a fix soon.

I would assume they would “fix soon” if they could recreate the problem after being made aware by a number of users.

I, too, have experienced many intermittent “failed connections”. Just about every time, the problem involves either my ISP connection or the server used by the VPN.

Hopefully an eMC employee or more knowledgeable volunteer will jump in here and offer other helpful suggestions.

Thanks - hopefully a fix can happen soon. I have also submitted an email to eM Client detailing the problem.

The problem is intermittent and definitely an eM Client issue as I have tested with other email clients with no problems. I have also tested by installing eM Client on different computers with different accounts and the problem continues to appear intermittently. My accounts are both regular Gmail and Google Workspace accounts.

What is your Google SMTP setting ?

Also what version of eM Client are you running ?

Lastly do you have Windows or Mac and what OS version ?

Host: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 587
Force usage of SSL/TLS

Windows 11 (22H2)

Ok those Gmail SMTP settings send for me with no issues using Windows 11 and the same eM Client version.

So as this is happening in multiple computers and you have already tried removing and re-adding the Gmail / Google accounts, could be some eg: local physical connection issue that is not constant enough for eM Client to work.

Are all these computers with the same Gmail SMTP errors connected to the same network & same internet connection ?

If they are, try connecting one of them (if you have Wifi on one of the computers) to your mobile phone hotspot and then see if you can send ok or if you still get the same smtp connection issues.

Also as @sunriseal says sometimes programs such as Optional Firewall / Security programs, Optional Antivirus programs, Proxies & VPNs can interfere with eM Client. So completely disable any optionally installed programs like that to test. So just test with default Win 11 security.

Yes, I have tried all these things - nothing has been able to fix it. The thing is, I can use Thunderbird all day long without any problems. The problem is definitely eM Client. Unfortunately, the problem is intermittent, so reproducing it consistently is not possible at this point.