Attachments view feature is not available for free license use

Hi All,

I have a client who is using the free version of eM Client. She started using it with version 6 or 7. When she was offered the upgrade to v8 she installed it and some time later asked me about this error, which appears every time that she opens eM Client…

I understand what the attachments View feature is, and that it’s a pro feature. It seems to me though that perhaps she enabled it as part of a pro trial, and even though the trial ended the feature has remained enabled somehow after the trial ended?

If I check the navigation options at the bottom left of screen, she has the following available: Mail, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Attachments, Notes & Widgets. The Mail view is her usual/default view. If I try to customize that menu to remove the Attachments option, nothing happens. In fact, according to the customize panel, only Mail, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks should be visible anyway!

I tried upgrading to v9 so that we might get a new pro trial offer, but that hasn’t been offered - I guess the trial has been taken already in v8.

Other than removing the installation completely and setting up from scratch, I’m open to ideas on how to fix this. My client doesn’t want to upgrade to Pro.

Cheers,
Alan

Yes the viewing of attachments only is part of the “Pro Version” in V8 and V9. If you have already had the Pro trial 30days then “you cannot reinstate it” and “have to purchase the pro version to get that”. If somehow it was still there after 30days that must have been a possible bug with an early older version.

The only other way you can bring up all attachments “in the free version” is when you “select view attachments with emails” via the Inbox or All inboxes at the top right as this example below.

Note:- Obviously its not like viewing the separate attachments directly in the Pro version, but its a roundabout way to do a similar thing.

(eM Client V9 for Windows example below - Messages layout on Bottom)

(eM Client V9 for Windows example below - Messages layout on Right)

Thanks for your detailed answer @cyberzork !

I’m hoping to turn the feature off for the client, so they don’t get the pop-up message here:

every time they start eM Client.

I can’t find a way though, other than to uninstall (making sure to remove all files/registry entries) and setting up a clean copy from scratch. Either that or just get her to buy Pro or put up with the message on startup.

Open to any suggestions, but pretty sure I’ve exhausted the possibilities. Thanks again!

Alan

I’m hoping to turn the feature off for the client, so they don’t get the pop-up message here

I don’t believe you can disable that message.

Best option is to customise that bottom left eM Client panel to move view attachments to the furtherest far right so they don’t see it unless they go digging / clicking in there.

I understand. I notice now that the “Navigation Options” don’t actually remove the items entirely, just move them off to the … menu.

The problem here is that the user isn’t actually clicking on the attachment option. The message is coming up when eM Client starts, before any interaction takes place. In other words, they’re not doing anything to cause the warning to come up.

I appreciate your efforts. I don’t think there’s a solution here (not an easy one, anyway), but it’s always good to get a second opinion! :smile:

Thanks again!

The view attachments message is coming up when eM Client starts, before any interaction takes place.

Oh I’ve never seen that happen before in V8 or V9 unless someone clicked on it. Strange.

I understand. I notice now that the “Navigation Options” don’t actually remove the items entirely, just move them off to the … menu

Yes you cannot completely remove any of those tabs and only move them where you want.

Hey, it turns out I just solved the issue! :partying_face:

Short summary: The issue was that the “Show on startup” option (Settings > General) was set to “Attachments”. I changed it to “Global Inbox”, and the problem went away.

This was weird though, because I had searched for that option multiple times and missed/not found it. I figured this was the problem, but couldn’t find a way to change it - yet there it was, right in front of me! And yes, the option is there in v8 and v9. :woozy_face:

Thanks again for your help. :+1:

Alan

1 Like