Archiving versus Backup

I am a new user of emClient v.7

What is the difference between archive and backup ?

I don’t really want to do a schedule for these, but do a manual (on demand) system.

Do they have to be done at the same time - which to do first ?

I have two accounts - btinternet (POP) and outlook.com (IMAP).

OS is Windows 10 Home.

Regards

Roy

Hello Roy,
Archiving and Backup are 2 different actions.
Archiving will pull your messages from your account’s server and save them locally in an Archive folder. Archiving cannot be done manually.
Backup will take your database and save all your settings and local data to separate files outside of eM Client so you can restore from them in case your active database files get corrupted.
Back up can be done automatically OR you can manually create one through File>Backup.
Archiving happens when the application is open, Backup needs the application to close (manual backup will close the application on its own).

Regards,
Olivia

Hello Olivia

I am just a little confused about the practicalities of these systems as applicable to me.

Say, for instance, I set up an automatic archive on 1st August  for every 31 days to archive the messages older than 30 days can I then do a manual backup on the 2nd of August to include data and also the just-performed archive ? - then to carry on through the year using these settings.

I would want to select ‘All Mail Folders’ in my archive setup.

Regards

Roy

Hello Roy,
in Tools>Settings>Mail>Automatic Archiving you can choose the ‘All Mail Folders’ for all of your accounts. Archiving will then apply to all of your message folders.
(I apologize for a mistake, as Archiving can be done manually in the Archiving setting by pressing the ‘Perform Archiving’ button. This will perform archiving for all messages that are older than the set number of days a well.)

As for practicalities - your POP account is already downloading all messages locally, so setting Archiving for this will just move the messages to a different folder.
Your IMAP account, however, is synchronized with a server. Archiving from this account will remove the messages from your server (making more space on it) and save a local copy in you computer under the Archive folders.
At this point I believe it’s better to make a Backup to make sure you do not lose any locally stored data.
So, you want to definitely make a Backup after each Archiving takes place. (Though, since you have a POP account I’d suggest making Backups more frequently, but that is up to you.)

Regards,
Olivia

Hello Olivia

Thank you for the information.

I will have a go at both those things in due course.

Regards

Roy

Hello Olivia

Sorry, just thought of a couple of things perhaps you can clarify for me.

In your last post you say -

“setting Archiving for this will just move the messages to a different folder”

1. Does this mean that the messages are actually removed from the relevant folders - not just copied ? Are those folders then emptied up to the set date ?

2. Does the new ‘Archive’ folder reproduce the different folders as specified or are all the messages just lumped together ?

3. Is it possible to do a ‘Search’ function on the Archive folder to find and refer to previous messages?

4. Does the Backup also physically move messages or is this just a copy system ?

5. Can one search the Backup to look at individual messages ?

Sorry if I am being a dummy about this, but I don’t want to carry out a function which is going to produce a result which I don’t want. I have my own arrangement of folders for Archive/Saved emails going back quite some time which were on my previous client (Windows Live Mail) before I migrated them to emClient.

Regards

Roy

Hello Roy,

1, Yes, Archiving removes the messages from the previous location, thats the point of Archiving, to free up the space in the previous location.
2, The Archive structure will make a folder tree of your accounts and under them the original folder structure.
3, You can search in the Archive folder, it’s still part of your database
4, Backup only makes a copy of your database files and saves it in a ZIP file in your computer so you can restore from it if anything happens to your active database.
5, You cannot look or search through backup.

Regards,
Olivia

Hello Olivia

Thank you for your explanations - much appreciated.

Regards

Roy