Archiving to a specific local folder

I would prefer the automatic archiving process to be a bit more configurable. E.g. to move the messages to an automatically created sub-folder labeled with the current year or similar.

Right now it just creates a folder with the account’s name that’s it - a bit too simple IMO. A folder structure like

Inbox
Sent
Trash

Btw, what happens with the messages in Local Folders? I’ve got many folders to where I’m moving my messages from the account’s inboxes and sub-folder.

Will those messages be archived, too? Which “account-name” will be used? I didn’t try it so far, though.

cu,
Michael

Hi the archiving feature moves your messages from your IMAP server to your local storage, emails in the local folder are already saved in your local database so there’s no need to archive them.
Unfortunately it is not possible to archive based on the received/sent date etc., maybe in future releases of eM Client.

Thank you for understanding,
Paul.

Glad I could help, please let us know if you come across any other issues or questions we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,
Paul.

I too would like to see a ‘true’ archive, that is a location where messages can be place separately from the current database, where they are not immediately accessible, to enhance current speed, but can easily be viewed when needed. Archiving is not always about time, ie old messages get archived, new ones stay current, it can also be about subject, so an archiving routine needs to be flexible and customisable

So if I understand this, when I archive old emails, they are taken off the server and stored locally. They appear in the same local inbox as current emails, and there is no way to know which have been archived other than the date on the email. Is that right?  Thanks for your patience—

By archiving a message, the message is removed from the IMAP folder (a server folder synchronized with eM Client) and moved to a local folder under local folders in eM Client.

You can create a special folder for each account under local folder and keep your messages organized just as if they were on the server, but they have to remain in the Local folders, as keeping the message offline in your IMAP folder will no longer be possible without having the message synchronized with the server.

Thank you,
Paul

I must agree with the majority of posters here. Em Client would be a superb program if you could archive to separate archive folders which are identifiable as such, and can therefore be searched and backed up. Please consider this for updates.
Jim 

Hello Jim, I’m not completely sure what you’re suggesting, eM Client currently includes both Online and Offline archiving feature. Offline archiving allows you to archive your messages into Local Archive folders and can therefore be searched and backed up using the built-in backup feature or export feature. Unfortunately it is not possible to archive your messages into an external system folder, this is not a currently available feature, but messages can be exported at any time.

Online archiving tool is available when server supports the \archive folder label that allows the application to detect the Archive folder and map the archiving button to this specific folder, you can see this for example on Gmail accounts with All Mail folder enabled.

I was looking for this solution too. Can you advise if the following will work (with IMAP accounts)?

Under tools/settings/general/general, tick “show local folders”.
Once local folders are displayed, go to Local Folders and create new folder(s).
Drag messages from Inbox (or other IMAP folder) to the destination of your choice.

Messages are now stored locally in a named folder and will be deleted from the server. Is this correct?

Now if we could create scripts to automate this, we would have an archiving function adaptable to our (the posters in this thread) needs. Food for thought?

Hi Nick,
yes, the procedure as you described it will work and save your messages in local folders and remove them from server.

As for the scripts, I suggest looking through the forums and voting for an idea thread that already asks for this feature or setting up a new idea thread.
Our developers go through these when considering new features in future updates and versions.

Best regards,
Olivia

Thanks, Olivia, that’s good to know. At least there’s a partial workaround.

The next step, as many other posters have said, would be for the archives to be detachable and portable - i.e. they could be saved as another database file that could be attached / detached and transferred between clients. While detached, they wouldn’t be interfering with performance, but could be attached when it was necessary to refer to them. This is what I do with Exchange - create a new .pst file each year and archive last year’s traffic to it. Then I can attach any year whenever I think something might be in there that I want to refer to.

I’m not aware of this “idea thread” concept but I’ll have a look around. Thanks.

Hi Nick,
when you post to the forums, you decide what type the post is. There are Questions, Problems, Praise… and one of these types is ‘Idea’. That one has an option to be ‘liked’ by other users after it’s posted, showing us it is a relevant feature that our users miss. That is what I meant.

Regards,
Olivia

Olivia,

nevertheless this feature is really missing and you know voting and posting ideas to enhance emClient is, hmm how should I say politely, let’s say just like I would tell it to my fridge - it won’t trigger anything.

Your company is way to stiff, you know. We are waiting now over a year for a polished and enhanced version that was promised for summer this year (2015!), now you told us it will be autumn and I will tell you it will be next year - period!

This is why I’ve NOT given you my money for a lifetime license!

I dont’ say I need an update each month with new features, but at least one major version each year that includes the most wanted features requested here.

Like, more flexible archiving outside emClient, just like the PST files in Outlook, a customizable toolbar with small, mid or big buttons, customizable shortcuts, a real working counter for unread messages in ALL folders and not just that dotted indicator and last but not least my favorite: The RULES! Yes, the rules are outdated. Even Thunderbird offers better rules here, at least - the rest is *****

Again I will again link to my comprehensive list: https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/enhancements-for-rules
so you can’t say you didn’t know about it AND I’ve posted the list an idea, you know^^

I’ve followed facebook for quite a while, as I did for this forum and your blog. All I can read, however, is that users are hoping the next version will cure everything they ever wanted before. I agree, not every wish is meaningful, but to be honest, I haven’t seen any request to be coming to any new version - maybe there was no major version the last two years? Anyway, so far you simple ignore everthing.

Btw, where is Paul? Paul always used this sentence: “Thank you for the suggestion, we’ll consider improving this in future releases of eM Client.
I’m missing this one :wink: 'cause this way I always knew - I will never see my request to be taken serious.

Michael

Mike,

if you follow all our information channels, then you surely know why the version is delayed. And while we are very sorry for the inconvenience the delay caused, we believe the decisions we made in the core programming will make the application better.

Same goes for the ideas - the ideas let us know what the users are missing, but it’s not possible to implement all features right away (some would mean rewriting the whole application), but we do know about them, go through them and try to choose the most relevant ones that are possible to implement and agree with the goals of our company.

I’m sorry you miss Paul, I’ll try to better my replies to the idea threads.

Olivia