Archiving to a specific local folder

Not sure about the archiving function, I don’t think it works like I would wish it to, can someone please confirm this.

I was using Outlook before trying out eM Client.
My currentOutlook PST file for archives is 16 gigs, I have it stored on an SD card.

With eM Client’s archiving function I don’t see an option to store data in a different folder than the “regular” email database.

This seems odd since as the years go by the database file will be enormous.
(and I would think, very slow)
I think just like your backup function can have its data stored elsewhere, so should the archive.

Think of it as 2 mail accounts, one “live/active” account used on a daily basis, one archived account used now and then for consulting old emails and info - have the two reside on separate databases and let the user choose where the data folder resides.

My outlook works like that - I think it is one of the very few things they got right !

Dan

eM Client stores all it’s data in 1 database file.

Sometimes I also think “well those e-mails of 5 or more years ago can go in a separate database file”.

Hi, with Automatic Archiving you will always archive into Local folder, one database design is because eM Client is focused on speed. More databases could make this quite hard to achieve.

Archive button on Toolbar (if selected folder supports it) always archive into folder defined by email service to which that folder belongs.

jan

Yes but does “archiving to local folder” mean that I can choose where the folder is stored or is the data in the one database file ?
If it keeps the data in one database file, that file will still grow to become 15gB or bigger. I don’t see how that will make it fast.

All data is in 1 database file, also archived e-mail.

The ‘folder’ in the text ‘archiving to local folder’ is referring to an e-mail folder in eM Client, not to a file folder in Windows Explorer.

Accessing data from 1 database is faster than accessing data from multiple databases and combining it.

But accessing and processing data from 1 small database, is of course faster than accessing data from 1 big database.

But splitting data into multiple databases will cause a lot of issues.

too bad.
means I can’t use your software for archiving, I will keep my Outlook “alive” just to archive and be able to store the data on an SD card or remote drive.
My exchange server will let me have a 25 GB mailbox I wonder how fast your software would be if I used all of that space plus the 16 GB I currently have on archive - that would be working thru a 41 GB file.

Not your, Hans is not our employee. Anyway only thing you can change is location of your database and it will also change your storage location for archives.

JAn

I agree, i don’t think that we’re stating we would try and use the two databases simultaneously… but rather to create a truly ‘archived’ file which is not used by the current system, so that i can be synced and left alone, and you only access it when you are seeking older emails. Just seems that its impossibe to cleanly use EM to archive, and I too agree that this was good with outlook - i just created extra PST files and only opened them when i really needed to go that far back. I love EM, this is the only feature that i find frustrating.

Hi, I’m sorry you don’t find the current setup sufficient to your needs, thank you for your input on this.
Even though there are currently no changes to archiving planned, we might still see an improvement in future releases.

Thank you for understanding,
Paul.

My Datafile is currently 16G and em client is very slow. The file will grow tremendously. I see from this thread that Archiving will not reduce the size of the .dat file or the speed. Is there anything I can do to increase the speed? 

Hi Mark, are you using the “Download messages for offline use” option? Are you using IMAP for email synchronization or are you using a POP account?
Do you have any kind of data stored locally in eM Client?

Thank you,
Paul.

Thank you.
I am using Download messages. I am using IMAP. Yes, I am storing data locally.
Is that what you are asking?

Currently evaluating eM Client and so far it ticks all the boxes, except for archiving.  Judging by comments on this forum, I am not alone in wanting to keep separately very old emails which I only need to access very occasionally.  By contrast, email within, say, the past year need to be easily searched.  What is needed (for me anyway) is a ‘super archive’ function which removes emails older than a certain age into a separate folder which can be physically archived (eg burned on a DVD).  On the very rare occasions when I need to access these emails, I don’t mind a more long-winded process.

If you’re using the “Download messages for offline use” the application’s database may get large if you’re using the application extensively.
Solution for this might be deleting your email account from the application and setting up the IMAP account again, then you could download this utility:

http://www.emclient.com/tools/dbrepairrebuildall.exe

This tool will delete all the unnecessary data from the application and if you re-add your account it will delete all the data belonging to that account.

This of course is just a suggestion on how to make things faster again, but unfortunately if you want to keep all your offline data, this is an issue that may arise when database exceed a certain amount of data.

Regards,
Paul.

Hi Jonathan, what you’re describing is unfortunately not an available feature in the application, however you might find exporting your data useful, go to File > Export > Export messages into .eml files, and select a folder you’d like to export and export your data from the application, you can then move this exported data to any desired external drive.

The automatic archiving feature will allow you to archive email older than a set number of days.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Thanks for the quick reply, Paul.  That’s a useful work-around even if not an ideal solution.  I could keep a copy of Thunderbird, for example, just for searching/reading archived mails.  I can live with that.
If eM Client decides to improve the native archiving functionality, then I am sure a lot of users would be delighted.
Best regards
Jonathan

Hi again, glad I could help. We’ll consider some improvements for future releases.

Thank you for your thoughts,
Paul.

I, too, assumed that archiving meant that those emails/attachments would be in a separate file.  I am just setting up emClient as the front-end for a new Gmail account, but also a 20-year-old Yahoo account.  I was hoping that the Yahoo account could be archived and used “offline” as a static account (will be closing the Yahoo account) and which I can do a one-time backup of and know that it is secure.  Once that backup is done I would want to go forward with a database that is just information from this point forward (not carry 20 years worth of emails/attachments with it!).  It would be nice to open/attach the archived database occassionally to search, just like Outlook enables me to do…

It would be fabulous to be able to open/close different databases that represent different accounts.

I have not used it long enough to know, but I assume performance will be an issue.  The old Yahoo account has 100,000+ emails and god knows how many attachments.

Another issue with having it all be one database is backups.  I assume that my 20 years worth of emails/attachments will be part of the backup every time I have emClient initiate a backup, which will take that much longer and take up that much more room…

Looks like I will need to find  a work-around.

Thanks,

Todd

Hi Todd, you can setup a new database for this account if you don’t want to use it regularly, switching between different databases is possible, however is a little more complicated.
If you go to Tools > Settings > General > Storage, you can enter a path to a new database (e.g. C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\ - this is your current/original database).

If you change the location of your storage to e.g. C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Yahoo, and restart the application, eM Client will create a new database allowing you to setup your Yahoo account and archive your emails, you can than backup the database to keep your data safe, or you can keep the second database on your computer and whenever you want to switch the database, again insert the path of your original database and again restart the application to see your other accounts.

Note that by doing this, you’re moving all your yahoo emails to local storage, and we highly recommend to keep a backup of the archived emails on an external storage, in case something goes wrong to not lose this data.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Paul,

I appreciate you responding to me and this issue.  I will consider this work-around as a possible solution.

Thanks!

Todd