Archive old messages on PC received with a IMAP account

Dear all,
I just moved my domain onto a new provider and got the company emails recreated. The accounts were all POP3 on the previous provider and were managed with Outlook Express. Currently the accounts are all IMAP and managed with eM Client 5.0.
Since we also changed machines I imported all the old messages stored by Outlook Express within the past 5 years into the new computer I am using, I installed eM, I created the accounts and then imported the old messages with the FILE > IMPORT function.
Import were successful but the available webmail space is now full (I assumed that being an IMAP account, the server stored online also the old messages I imported in eM Client.
I opened TOOLS > SETTINGS > MAIL > Automatic Archive but I really can’t seem to make this work properly as:

1. No Archive folder is created in any folder tree of eM Client
  2. No Archive folder is created in the C: by eM Client
  3. All the old and new messages in the mail server are kept there and consequently I am not experiencing any SPACE FREED UP as I wished it would happen by activating automatic archiving.
    Please advise.
    Regards.
    Gionata Nencini

Hello,

can you look into your local folders if automatic archiving has done something? Also you can force archivation from Tools - settings - mail - archivation.

Jan

Dear John and thanks for finding the time and energy to reply to all of us. As you suggested I went looking again for the Archive folder but as you can see there is nothing. All the sub folder under Local Folder are empty.
Please advise.
Gionata

can you check in Tools - Accounts - your account - IMAP tab if you have “download messages for offline use” checked?

Emails can’t be archived if they are not presented locally.

Jan

Dear John, just checked and found that messages for offline usage were unchecked.
I now checked it and saved it and I hope in the next few hours to have a positive reply for you.
Regards.
Gionata

Does it works?

Jan

Dear John, I am sorry to say that, even though I checked “save messages for offline usage” and forces the archiving, I can’t still see or find Archive Message folder.
If I open TOOLS > SETTINGS > MAIL > ARCHIVING this is what I see.

I see now that you do not have any folder selected for archivation (Elementi da archiviare), you need to select which folders will be archivated there.

Jan

Dear Jan, thanks for you reply and sorry for my late reply I was overseas for work. Could you please advise where I need to select the folders? In this option section or in the main page of eM client?
Regards

Hi, just click on “Nessuno” and it will offer you selection of folders you can archive :slight_smile:

Jan

John, it finally worked. I selected “all inbox folders” as I suppose this will archive sent emails too.
Best regards.

thank you for information about your issue. And yes, it should archive them too :slight_smile:

Jan