Any way to get lines / dividers between messages?

I really want my wife to move away from Outlook, but one critical thing she needs is that she likes how Outlook can put small lines between each message in the message list.  It helps her visually sort through the messages.  Any way to do this in eM?

Hello Nick,

Settings > Appearance > Lists > Show grid lines

Thanks Jörg…I thought that was it as well, but no setting in there does anything that I can see.  

No lines between things in lists, no alternating color.  

Are you saying this works for you?  Since this is set to “on” by default, I should see this behavior on YouTube videos for version 7, but no video I see has this enabled.

I see both, grid lines and alternating colours.

Just to check if changing the settings actually does something: try it with another theme. Grid line colour and alternating colours are defined within themes and for instance grid line colour might be set to background colour in your theme.

Hello Nick,

It seems that rather than the Compact layout, your wife might prefer using the Single-line layout. This layout shows one message per line with the lines being separated by colors. You can choose this setting in Menu -> Tools ->Settings -> Mail -> Read and section Message List at the bottom.

Regards,
Maurice

Thanks, everybody, for your support!  I am just absolutely missing something, because there is no alternating line color, nor lines between messages.  I tried this on 3x computers, all with fresh installs, and changed themes on all of them, and there is no trace of any alternating colors, or grid lines between messages.  If you look at images of eM on google image search, I do not see any pictures that even show alternating line colors at all , either.

And Maurice…thanks for the tip, but my wife really wants the lines (which are not there in single-line layout).  She uses glasses on the computer, and having a visual barrier between messages is what helps her more easily sort.  Outlook does this by default, so MSFT thinks that is a nice thing to give to all users by default, and for her, she agrees.

If the alternating colors would just work, that would go a long way :frowning:

I’ve attached a screenhot with both enabled - lines AND colors:

No!  It can’t be!  I want that!  :))  That must have taken you a lot of time to do in an image editing program :slight_smile:

Just kidding, but here is what I found:

When the layout is (as you have it) set to “messages on the bottom” then the alternating line coloring works.  But if the layout is set to “messages on the right”, then there is no alternate coloring or grid lines.

Is that maybe a bug?

Yep…most monitors nowadays are more widescreen than tall, so it would be great to have this work in that mode as well.  Thanks for the help!

There is an option menu/tools/settings/mail/read - go to the Message list section and click “Always use single-line layout”. Then you lines will appear whether reading pane is on the right or bottom.

Yep…thanks!  But I am trying to get my wife to replicate the Outlook experience on a client that just works better.   She has the “compact” view on Outlook and it alternates colors nicely…requiring her to squint at those much more compacted lines is not going to work for her, but I appreciate the workaround!

Hello Nick,

Yes, the alternating coloring is only set for the single-line view, as most users find the message width in the compact view so small that the spaces between the messages are enough to guide the eye. If it is the size that is the issue of the single-line view, we would suggest trying out increasing the size of the font in Menu->Tools->Settings->Appearance->Lists->Fonts

Regards,
Maurice

Gotcha, thanks!  Would be awesome to have the option to have the alternating colors in all modes, though, and then turn it off if you do not want it, so hopefully that is something you can look to…but thanks for the workarounds!

Hello Nick,

Thank you for the idea. Hopefully some of these suggestions will prove useful for now.

Regards,
Maurice