Any way to exclude certain folders that never change from backup in order to save time?

My eM Client Backup is taking just under 20 minutes to complete partly because of the size of 6 older email account files that I need to hold on to and also be able to search occasionally. They will never change though.

I am wondering if there is any way to exclude these folders from being backed up on each backup that I currently have set to ‘daily’

Thanks for any suggestions.

A couple of things…  With the newer 7.1 version, the automated backup can run in the background while eM Client is being used, so the time it takes to backup becomes somewhat moot.

I have struggled with this and since I like to have all my data backed up, I use a third party solution for backups.  They are more reliable and flexible than eM Client’s back routines, so I would suggest this approach.

Thank you Jay for your suggestions.

Although I am running on 7.1;  what prompted me to try to address this delay was that I attempted to close eM Client before walking away from my PC for a period and it objected saying that closing the program would stop the backup that was currently in progress.

The backup location is in My Documents and this folder together with the other personal folders are backed up locally on a daily basis and that is not a particularly lengthy process.  I could of course backup the eM Client storage folder directly.  Do you know if all the mail data is saved in C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\eM Client ? It is not possible to identify any of the mail folders from the names in that folder.

Thanks again for your help.
Dave

Yes, all the mail, settings, templates etc. are in the C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\eM Client folder.

The biggest problem with backup from an external program or script, is that eM Client needs to be closed to backup these files. If the backup skips open files you will pretty much end up with an empty backup. If the backup copies open files, you will end up with a possibly corrupted database after restore much like if the program was closed incorrectly.

So you need to weigh the difference in time and convenience between a background in-app backup, or ensuring that eM Client is properly closed before an external backup app begins.

Hadn’t thought of the issue with open files Gary.  Maybe I’ll just accept the occasional annoyance of not being able to close the app.
Thanks for the reply.

Dave