Antivirus problems with inline PNG filename

There is a severe problem when using PNG inline images in a signature. eM Client is renaming the PNG file with the following pattern: …png. This is a huge problem because antivirus scanners interpret this as a possible attack hding the real filename extension:

Sample Output:

"One or more of the attachments (f1pqrvqi.kkl.png) are on
the list of unacceptable attachments for this site and will not have
been delivered.

Consider renaming the files to avoid this constraint.

The virus detector said this about the message:
Report: Report: MailScanner: Attempt to hide real filename extension (f1pqrvqi.kkl.png) "

Please fix this ASAP.

Hello,

I was unable to recreate this issue on multiple computers with different antiviruses.

Can you please tell me what AV do you use, what Windows do you use and what eM Client version do you have (help - about)?

with regards
Jan

I also have an issue with this.  The problem is that the file name has two periods within the name prior to the extension.  I get emails bounced back all the time as the recipients anti-virus blocks or strips the file due to interpreting the attachment as a virus.  I agree, please consider renaming these attachments.  Thanks! 

Hi Greg, thank you for the suggestion, I’ll check with the developers if there could be a solution for this in future releases, however I believe eM Client doesn’t have the capability to rename attachments and it might cause issues while sending some files with less known file extensions.
Unfortunately some antivirus softwares are overly “smart” and mark these attachments as potentially dangerous, but it would be maybe more appropriate to report issues with bouncing these attachments to the developers of the antivirus.

Thank you for understanding,
Paul.

Hi Paul,
Thank you for your reply.  I think there is some misunderstanding.  The issue is that eM client automatically names screenshots that are pasted into a message with two periods in the file name. The fact that it is a .PNG is fine.  It is this that the anti-virus programs do not like it as it is NOT a standard file name.  The simple solution is for eM Client is to name the file using normal file conventions.  

Thanks!
Greg

Hi again, sorry for the misunderstanding, can you please tell me what version of eM Client are you currently using?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul,
I am on version:  6.0.20154.0  

Thanks!

Hi again Greg, thank you for pointing this issue out to us, I tried to replicate the issue and even with newer releases of eM Client the issue is still there, I reported the issue to the developers and hopefully we’ll be able to see a fix in future releases of eM client.

Thank you for your input on this issue, hope you can manage to use the current setting until it’s fixed.
Paul.