Ability to see full email address without without opening or viewing header?

I know we can see the email address et al in the header information, but doing so, as I understand it, the sender will know you “opened” the email.

Using Gmail as an example, I can hover over the sender’s name to reveal the actual email address.

I’m finding some credible businesses have become lazy and have cryptic “from” names which can easily be mistaken as spam. Being able to view the email address by hovering over it would be a valuable screening tool.

If the sender has requested a read receipt, you will be asked if you want to send that. It is always your choice. You can change settings for this in Menu > Setting > Mail > Receipts.

If the message has tracking though, you will have the same result no matter what application or web interface you use. In version 9, we have added a new option to manage this. See here.

If I understand correctly, email tracking is different from “receipts” which is often or typically turned off by most users?

I have a keen interest in this. With email tracking (versus receipts) are you or eM Client developers saying that even if an email is sent to the SPAM folder, the tracking pixels will know the spam email was successfully delivered to my account as well?

I am especially curious since one my Gmail accounts that is about 12 years old for which I have been obsessively careful, suddenly started getting a tonne of SPAM email. I never received any spam, ever until last year. That’s a very long time to be SPAM free.

For the most part, Gmail has been great in filtering the SPAM to my SPAM folder; however, this particular email account was only used selectively for “trusted” sources. I have worked especially hard to implement and follow all sorts of “safety practices” to ensure it remains as “hidden” as possible.

I am at a loss at why, after a dozen or so years, I suddenly started receiving the SPAM when I have vigilant and taken so many extra precautions over the years. I have not received [as much] SPAM as I have with this one particular Gmail account compared to my “disposable, junk email accounts”.

I can’t help wonder if during the last year one of my (trusted) senders or recipients email or network was compromised and my Gmail account was in their address book. Or perhaps the possible reason is the [web beacons] have identified my Gmail address somehow.

OP is requesting an important security feature for screening emails. A mouse-over popup that reveals the senders email address in list view WITHOUT opening the message is especially helpful to avoid opening dangerous and bogus messages. Scammers often use legitimate names which mask their bogus email address.

eM Client has a mouse-over popup that partially shows Subject.

eM Client has a mouse-over popup that partially shows Preview.

Please add a mouse-over popup to list view that reveals the senders email address WITHOUT opening the message or header.

GMail and Yahoo both have this feature.

eM is a great email client. I just dumped Yahuu in a browser after many years.

Thanks !!

3 Likes

The message is already downloaded, and if the privacy settings are enabled, previewing the message will not pose any security risk, as no external links will be followed.

1 Like

But do the privacy settings (when enabled) prevent automatic tracking? I believe in version 9+ it does, but what about older versions? I’m just curious.

do the privacy settings (when enabled) prevent automatic tracking?

The email Tracking feature which you enable or disable when emails arrive, is only new in V9 Pro.

If I want to junk and blacklist a domain (and is important to be sure this is not gmail.com or outlook.com etc), a simple on-mouse-over email address preview is a much faster option, rather than click, open the preview, go to the sender email, verify the domain is unique and unwanted, and then again, go to the header, move to junk and blacklist domain.
This also makes a simple email checker for phishing, spamming etc absolutely faster. I don’t see any reason why I should be obliged to click and open the preview because considered “safe”. Just my POV of course.
thanks, regards.

Yes, we offer that already. Just hover your mouse over the sender’s name in the message preview.

To blacklist a domain, right-click on the email and choose Move to Junk > Move to Junk and Blacklist Domain.

Nope, the mouseover doesn’t show any info. I’m talking about the Inbox list, not the email itself. I can onmouseover the sender in the opened email, which of course is what I don’t want to do.
you have the Mail Pane, on the left, with a list of accounts and tags etc. then the pane with a list of receive emails, with From, Subject, Received. If I mouseover the FROM (sender), nothing shows up. not sending the screenshot to avoit to blur everything but a little arrow.

Thanks, I do this all the time, but in order to ban a domain, you need to be sure this domain is NOT something like gmail.com or other big domains. hence the importance to peep in to the sender without opening. I’m under assault by SEO sellers that change domain at every email, very annoying, so this is quite a recurring activity.

1 Like

It sucks when there’s gaslighting and the spokespeople for the product won’t acknowledge the need of a feature (request).

What mail program allows you to see the senders email address / details when you just highlight / hover over the “From” Name in the Subject field / line which it looks like what you are saying ?

You normally only see the senders email address in any mail client iv’e used (including eM Client) by highlighting the Senders name (in the body of the email) on (the right of the word From) as @Gary advised further up this thread.

So seems like you are instead wanting to see the senders email address / details in the actual From / Subject line when hovering your mouse instead and not when hovering in the body part of the email.

Can you (do a screenshot) of where exactly you are trying to see the senders email address / details to appear when hovering, and update it in this thread. Blank out anything personal / private.

Just come across this discussion as part of my evaluation of the current email clients available in order to choose one to use for the future due to my legacy email program becoming almost impossible to use for pop/imap and smtp.
So the issues here strike a chord as I want to be able to open an email with one click or Enter key and to see the full email addresses From and To easily.
eMail Client does not actually enable either of these things but has a lot of other desirable qualities under the bonnet.
But I have had a look at four email progs as they display the list or index of emails from this point of view and only two actually display the full address by mouse over or even better just displaying the full address instead of just the senders name. eMail Client as noted in posts above does not do this, it seems to follow the way others show the to and from short headers which look very pretty but are light on the full information required by some of us.
I have some screen shots here for comparison which I will have to show one by one due to the forum limitation of only one media attachment:
First is eMail Client which has no mouseover display and needs two clicks to open the email. Escape key will close the opened email which is a plus for me.

continued in next post…

Second is Thunderbird which shows the minimum too and needs two clicks to open. Closing the email requires a mouse click unless there is a keyboard shortcut I have not discovered yet

continued in next post…

Third is Gmail which opens with only one click and has a mouseover display of the full address. Backspace will close email displayed - so good results here.

continued in next post… If I could as once again another restrictive forum limitation will not let me make a fourth consecutive reply until after someone has replied to me. So watch this space.