A problem with handling images in signatures during a conversation

I’m using “eM Client” in version 6.0.20648.0 and I’ve a problem with handling images in signatures during conversations.
When I communicate through eM Client with an account configured in Outlook our images from signatures are showed as attachments after a few responses in a thread.

I checked how I can reproduce that issue and here is what I found.
For testing I send a mail with a signature from an account in eM Client (hereafter “emclient@”) to an account in Outlook (hereafter “outlook@”), then outlook@ reply with a signature to emclient@ and so on…
Annotations:

• I worked on Outlook 2013 but with older versions is the same situation.
  • emclient@ and outlook@ have the same signature with the same image name (e.g. 1.png) in their own signatures. Only one account can have an image or they have different ones but then there is a need for a greater number of responses to case the error.

Here is how the problem looks like inside a mail with e.g. subject “Hello_mail”:

1. Below find ‘grep “Content-Id” send_reply_send.mail’ with comments from the Hello_mail one response loop before the error.

"Content-Id: "
The image of third mail sent in a thread from emclient@ to outlook@ -
the subject “Re[2]:Hello_mail”

"Content-Id: <[email protected]>"
2nd from outlook@ to emclient@ - “Re: Hello_mail”

1st from emclient@ to outlook@ - “Hello_mail”

2. And now the mail from above after additional answer from outlook@ and emclient@.
Below find ‘grep “Content-Id” send_reply_send_reply_send.mail’ with comment from the Hello_mail with the error - with “image002.png” shown as the attachment in Outlook.

"Content-Id: "
5th from emclient@ - the subject “Re[4]: Hello_mail”

"Content-Id:
<[email protected]>"
4th from outlook@ - “Re[3]: Hello_mail”

3rd from emclient@ - “Re[2]: Hello_mail”

2nd from outlook@ - “Re: Hello_mail”

1st from emclient@ - “Hello_mail”

After additional response from outlook@ (without errors in the mail in “Sent Items” and emclient@) and a response from emclient@ there are three “image*.png” in received mail in outlook@.
Each additional response from emclient@ adds additional bogus attachments.

’ ’ are in the same order as values from “Content-Id”.

There were no problems during testing (a few response in a thread):

• from outlook1@ to outlook2@
  • from outlook@ to gmail@
  • from emclient@ to gmail@
  • from emclient@ to emclient@

And what is interesting, when I send the last mail from my test between outlook@ and e.g. gmail@/outlook2@ (without errors in Outlook) from emclient@ to outlook@ then the error appears in Outlook.
    For me It looks like eM Client has problems with conversions Outlook’s html body. :frowning:

I’m asking for your help.
Maybe it looks like a little annoying problem but if a sender has a few images with e.g. informations about fairs then after a few responses there are tens of attached “image*.*”. :frowning:

Hi, I’m not completely sure if I understand, could you please make a screenshot of the issue?

If I do understand this correctly are you suggesting that while sending messages between eM Client and Outlook which have an image attached to it’s signature, the image get’s duplicated with each response?

Thank you,
Paul.

The screenshot of a part of a mail preview in Outlook:

In this mail there are 39 such images from signatures.

No, the images are not duplicated.

First man (A) with eM Client has one picture in the signature.
Second man (B) with Outlook has also own signature with one picture.

Test no: 1
A send mail to B - no errors, one image in the mail.
B reply to A - no errors, 2 images.
A reply to B - no errors, 3 images.
B reply to A - no errors, 4 images.
A reply to B - 1 error (1 attached image), 5 images.
B reply to A - no errors, 6 images.
A reply to B - 3 errors, 7 images.
B reply to A - no errors, 8 images.
A reply to B - 5 errors, 9 images.
B reply to A - no errors, 10 images.
A reply to B - 7 errors, 11 images.

“Content-Id:” of the last mail (7 errors, 11 images):
Content-Id:
Content-Id: <[email protected]>

Test no: 2
B send mail to A - no errors, one image in the mail.
A reply to B - no errors, 2 images.
B reply to A - no errors, 3 images.
A reply to B - no errors, 4 images.
B reply to A - no errors, 5 images.
A reply to B - 2 errors, 6 images.
B reply to A - no errors, 7 images.
A reply to B - 4 errors, 8 images.
B reply to A - no errors, 9 images.
A reply to B - 6 errors, 10 images.

Test no: 3
Two Outlooks sends reply each other 12 times - no errors, 12 images.

“Cid” of the last mail (no errors, 12 images).
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>

Content-ID: of the last mail (no errors, 12 images):
Content-ID: <[email protected]>

Test no: 4
The last mail from test No 3 (two Outlooks) is sent from eM Client to Outlook without additional signature.
Received mail on Outlook side looks like that:

8 errors and 11 pictures in the mail.

Cid:
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>
[email protected]" (…)>

"Content-Id"

Thanks,
Christopher

Hi Christopher, what kind of errors are you seeing? Can you make a screenshot of the errors as well?
I understand that the images ARE in fact duplicated. With each reply one signature image is added, causing you to have identical images attached multiple times to the message, is that correct?

Thank you,
Paul.

Dear Paul,

I’m seeing tens of files in attachment instead of none when eM Client reply or forward
a mail with a few the same images in signatures. This is for me the error in eM Client working.

Below find how it should look - the right attachment of a mail with 11 the same image in signatures:

The error - the right attachment between bogus images. This is a mail from above sent from eM Client to Outlook.

I sent you Conent-Id and cid which show the error as well. In a mail touched by eM Client there are a few images with the same Content-Id…

I’d like buy over 100 licences of eM Client to a company after my testing but these kind of problems are unacceptable in business. Most of clients have Outlook and they will not look for a right attachment (e.g. an image) between bogus 40 images.

Thanks,
Christopher

Hi again Christopher, sorry but I can not replicate this issue, and I’m afraid I still don’t understand what errors are you referring to, I can see you’ve mentioned the errors in your previous posts but I don’t see a single quotation of the actual error message (what does the error keep saying)?

What mail service are you using?
Can you send me an exported email that you keep having issues with to [email protected]?

How did you configure the signature?

Thank you,
Paul.

I think that I may not have expressed myself clearly…

There is not any error message, I didn’t mention that is.
For me there is an error in eM Client operating because it creates a lot of Contents with the same Content-Id and names during converting Outlook’s mail body. In other words, a mail has a lot of the same files in its body with the same identifiers…
It’s like a few the same files with the same name in one folder. I think that Outlook is trying to do something with what eM Client did and shows these files as attachments.

I’m using IMAP on Dovecot + Postfix.

I configured a signature in eM Client by “insert image” in GUI and I tried also directly by sqlite3.exe on main.dat with the same result. In Outlook I tried through GUI and editing html of a signature.

I will send you mails from tests.

Thanks,
Christopher

Hi, sorry but you kept mentioning a number of errors so I assumed there are some errors displayed.
Please go to Tools > Settings > Advanced, and turn on IMAP logging for the problematic messages.

1. Save the settings
  2. Restart the application
  3. Replicate the issue
    When the issue occurs and you notice a number of attachments are being added to your original message, and the identifiers are the same, please go back to the advanced settings window and click on “Send logs” and send the logs to my email ([email protected]) with a reference link to this forum topic (you can possibly include the messages exported to .eml format as well).

Thank you,
Paul.

Hello,

I sent you two mails in the case.
When can I expect the patch? :wink:

Best regards,
Christopher

Hi, the issue has been forwarded to developers for more information, unfortunately, I’m unable to replicate this issue.
I’ll let you know once I have more information about the issue or a possible solution.

Thank you for understanding,
Paul.