A dictionary problem: I have added a wrongly spelled word and want to get it back out.

A dictionary problem: I use the spell check in French and by mistake I have added a wrongly spelled word. How do I get the wrong word back out of the reference data? Otherwise, the eM Client is working fine, great software, thanks.

1 Like

I have the same question

The custom dictionaries are stored in C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client. You may have to enable hidden items in Explorer to get there.

They are files that end with .custdic
With eM Client closed, you can open them with a text editor and delete or change any words.
Each word needs to be on a separate line.
When you are done, save the file and restart eM Client.

1 Like

I have no idea what version of em client you are referring to but there are no files anywhere on my computer with the .custdic extension. Having said that, where do I edit the custom, dictionary then???

I am running version - 9.2.1577 (9f64452)

It is the same for all versions.

Of course that is the default location of the database, so if you moved it elsewhere, then you will need to look in whatever folder you moved it to. That is the one defined in Menu > Settings > General > Storage.

Thanks Gary. And … doh! … I did move the db and found the file. What a dummy. I should have known that … o well …

However, something I did do that worked for me, because words I added to the .custdic file are not being picked up for some reason. Here is what I did.

I copied the “dictionary” folder from the emclient install location to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client. Opened the file “en-US.dic”, edited that and everything worked as it should.

not sure why the former didn’t work and the latter did … but we are good now. Perhaps you can chime in on why what I did worked and why the other did not, if you feel like it.

Thanks for your help.

Phil …

O brother … well well well … in fact what i did, did not work, so I restarted emclient … deleted and re-added the word it was not picking up then restarted again … and woo hoo … everything is good again. Sorry to be such a pain.
Phil …