Yahoo Mail IMAP Error Messages

Since updating EmClient to 9.1.2053.0 I. haven´t received any error messages

1 Like

I have a hard time accepting that answer Gary. I mean you could be right. But just blantantly suggest a gazillion dollar company that processes billions of emails is operating with “broken” servers doesn’t make a lick of sense.
Are you saying everyone on eM with a Yahoo account is reporting this, it happens to everyone? That would make sense if their servers are broken. But how come other email clients don’t have the issue? How come a lot of eM users aren’t reporting this? It seems like it must work for a majority of people then?

It would seem that Yahoo’s servers only seem to be broken for eM users, and then only some of those users. It doesn’t make sense.

And just what am I supposed to report to Yahoo about their servers? Do you know which server it is? Is there an IP or domain name for the specific server that isn’t working right? I assume they must use some kind of load balancing or DNS red robin technique so maybe it’s only particular servers that have hiccups? What data can I give them to report except “there is an email client I use and they say your servers are broken”.
I can already predict their answer: “Nobody else reporting broken servers and email is functioning fine, must be something wrong with your email client, our authentication servers don’t show any issues.”

I don’t want to get stuck in he-said-she-said.
And if the server is broken, I don’t see how you just “made a workaround” in the latest version. So you fixed eM to properly work with Yahoo?

None of this makes sense. I think your own programming team might be better situated to report Yahoo’s broken servers. After all you are trying to program according to their APIs and authentication protocols I assume, so if all that isn’t working, you should report it to them.
I don’t know what I’m supposed to do about it, that’s all. And Yahoo isn’t going to agree anything is wrong with their server unless I have some kind of technical proof. At least a log or something.
I’ll help if I can.

1 Like

Broken may be a poor choice of word, so maybe this will explain it.

After about an hour (Yahoo! might have increased it because of the backlash) their server rejects your credentials as invalid and any operation on an active imap connection will result in an error. So for the past hour the server has accepted them, but suddenly it refuses. You can see that in your error where the server says NO - invalid credentials. The correct solution would be for server to close any active connection if it no longer considers them valid, but this would cost computing power, so maybe that had something to do with their choice.

We did however, provide a workaround of sorts for the server’s behavior. Before we implemented this, the default method was for eM Client to retry any pending operation on a different active connection. Which unsurprisingly would also fail. So now, after 2 failed attempts the account goes offline. The error is still there but eM Client will be offline for a while.

Does it have something to do with how frequently we have it check for new messages and such? Like I have it set to 10 minutes, but if Yahoo is timing it out or something, maybe I actually need to check more frequently to keep the connections alive? Or are they killing the connections after an hour no matter how active it is?

Maybe eM should be completely closing the connection whenever there isn’t an active task happening, like only sync up for an operation or check messages and then close it again. Heck I don’t know. I know Yahoo is a pain no matter what, but it’s hard to get rid of ancient accounts.

I have gotten these errors myself when using eM Client and Yahoo. Since the errors were sporadic and didn’t happen all the time, I just assumed it was issues with Yahoo. Now in days it seems like Yahoo doesn’t care for the up keep of their email services. That is why I would never consider using Yahoo as my primary email hosting service.

What I can say is since installing the latest version (9.1) I have not gotten those errors. I absolutely understand how a work around could fix issues caused by the server end and just thankful they even took the time to work around Yahoo’s server issues.

I think at this point most of the major email hosting providers are trying to push users into using their own WebMail, and don’t want to support standards like IMAP and POP very well. They then force clients into using their proprietary APIs which can be ugly especially when it is in a consistent change. This means you then have to support things that are not standard except to that service itself. So I can understand how all this can be difficult and a pain for email client developers when everyone is doing their own thing in a non-standardized way.

I just wanted to make it known that there are eM Client users having these Yahoo server issues, and agree that it is Yahoo’s fault, and might not report it because Yahoo is not our primary email service and just have ignored these sporadic server errors as they pop-up to cope with their issues. Of course like I said ignoring the errors is no longer an issue since the work around in 9.1 seems to have resolved getting these errors.

1 Like

Yeap me too, I’ve removed the Sky/Yahoo account from eMclient and revoked the Oauth in the yahoo settings page (recent activity) and the re entered the account to eMclient and authenticated with Yahoo.

Seemed ok for a couple of days. The just now it’s tried a sync and failed with the unable to get LIST of folders!

I see the 9.1 update is suppose to have a work around. but if I check for updates in eMclient (I’m on 9.0) it says none available.

Any other suggestions/help?

Chaps, can I point out;
The problem is not only the errors. I don’t have any error message but IMAP yahoo eM Client does not work.
I have removed account, update the to last version 9.1.2 as advised here.
The Diagnose Fix, its green OK, but still doesn’t work.
Unable to receive new messages, just display very few old emails that all.

Yahoo used to have a free help centre, which was good enough. Now Yahoo charge for help.

It’s kinda hidden. It took me a while to find the download link.

Go to the EmClient Release History page for Windows::

emclient.com

eM Client - Email Client and Calendar Software for Windows and Mac

This free email client should be installed on your desktop. eM Client is just great.

And click on the 9.1.2082.0 link in the history heading

Thanks for help, but I’ve already installed 9.1.2082.0

Yahoo! Mail really is a hot mess. I chalk it up to their efforts to push users into their webmail backend or the proprietary apps. It’s one of those things I’ll never be able to understand. Maybe because I’m an oldtimer, I don’t know. E-Mail to me means having a proper client that has nothing to do with the mail services used other than lumping them in altogether in one nice, usable interface – not having to log into a dozen different websites to check all my emails.

But apparently, billions of people now own smartphones only, so everything gets dumbed down and containerized for everybody through a thousand different apps.

As for Yahoo! Mail, I can report the same bs with Apple’s regular macOS Mail.app, it’ll work fine for a while and just stop synching after a while, after which I need to disconnect / reconnect, sometimes several times, and all of a sudden, it’ll work again (for a while).

After all these years, I’ve pretty much given up on finding a solution. Yahoo! obviously doesn’t give two hoots about it, and I bet the emCrew will end up in the looney bin if they keep dealing with these shenanigans. The cost for antipsychotics alone will surely bankrupt them if they keep going. :yum:

1 Like

There is something I don’t understand. Every one blame Yahoo server but I’ve uninstalled eM Client and installed Thunderbird and it works flawless.

Also, if Yahoo server is the blame, then every one using Yahoo should have the same problem, but it seems only few of us got the problem.

I rather have eM Client, its much simpler than Thunderbird, but eM Client does not work and Thunderbird does.

1 Like

When I installed the latest version (9.1.2109) of eM Client the problem went away.

I confirm your point of view
I’ve tried with IncrediMail a lot of weeks and no problems account Yahoo encountered with this software !

EmClient encounters problems with the integration of yahoo account this is an evidence, while waiting for a fix I’ve disabled (visually) the error messages

I also had this issue, the latest version of eMc 9.1.2109 (9967b93) seems to have resolved it.

Re testing my @yahoo.com IMAP email account with the latest eM Client 9.1.2109 seems to be working ok atm with no red triangle / list folder random connection errors :slight_smile:. Time will tell how it goes.