Windows 11 update

I’ve got 3 questions based on other replies in this thread:

• Why is this just a problem in em Client - every other piece of software I have works fine.
  • If this is unique to windows 11, why doesn’t running it in compatibility mode fix it?
  • If it’s due to the automation code, why does em Client still crash when I’ve upgraded to the Insider Developer Preview which fixes the automation code?

@richstanton

• Why is this just a problem in em Client - every other piece of software I have works fine.

No one would know the answer to that question. The only way to know is that you would need to send in “eM Client loggs to be examined”. If you are a current EMC Pro customer suggest to do that via a support ticket to determine why it happens for you.

• If this is unique to windows 11, why doesn’t running it in compatibility mode fix it?

Running in Win 8 Compatibility mode does work for many users. Sry it doesn’t work for you.

• If it’s due to the automation code, why does em Client still crash when I’ve upgraded to the Insider Developer Preview which fixes the automation code?

Could be you may have other optional installed software that’s conflicting with eM Client.

Have you tried a “Clean install of Windows 11”.

Add me to the list - even with compatibility mode

so How do you actually tell if any software conflicts? every other piece of software including other email clients such as mailbird, postbox, outlook do not crash on the same install.

i love emclient but especially when having to pay either a large sum or pay for individual releases and no matter how much people defend the software, it is kind of a big deal, and how many people have switched without complaining, not to mention the crash reports they are probably being inundated wtih

for me it seems to crash on a clean install while gmail is syncing

I miss Eudora so much. I especially liked the attachments being in a separate directory. So easy to find stuff. And the rules and being able to manually run a rule.

You can do both with eM Client.

To run Rules manually, right-click on a folder and choose Apply Rule.

eM Client also has an attachments section (for Pro license users) where you can view all attachments.

The part with no other software does not crash is not true. The crash has been reproduced with many other softwares. The reason why it is happening often in eM Client is paradoxically because eM Client has really good and full support for automation and especially when there is a software that uses automation a lot and often (such as the recent version of Grammarly, that uses to inject their grammar check into 3rd party applications), there is much higher probability that this will happen. So our decision is only to wait for Microsoft to fix this bug and release it to all the users or disable or cripple the automation which is not a good idea because many tools rely on it and it wouldn’t be an easy, maybe even impossible task. With vanilla Windows 11 this crash happens very, very scarcely, it is typically connected with tools that use automation a lot like the mentioned Grammarly.

3 Likes

The latest on Microsoft Windows 22H2 update

Windows 11 22H2 has entered the final stage of testing, with the new version of the operating system expected to be rolled out widely by October. Today, Microsoft has approved the fall 2022 update for the Release Preview Channel of the Windows Insider beta testing program.

Appears October 2022 is Public release date.

Well I don’t use Grammarly, personally this is frustrating, I am currently looking for alternatives because you guys decided to charge me for the upgrade and I cant even use the software,

Every Single Email software I have tested on this build worked perfectly with no issues, except emclient, its really a shame as it has the best interface.

anyways uninstalled until it can be verified it works.

1 Like

@WX4JCW

I cant even use the software.

What version of eM Client are you using and do you have Windows or Mac and what OS version.

What happens when you open eM Client. Do you get any error messages ?

Can you receive email at all ?

Need more information on the actual problem.

If you have eg: Windows 11 there is currently a Microsoft issue with the OS that is only affecting some users running eM Client, that is being fixed in the Microsoft build update 22H2 later in the year.

If you are a Windows insider you can d/l and early Beta version of 22H2 from Microsoft.

Ok I am on windows insider, basically what’s happening is I have a Gmail account set to imap, inbox loads fine, but lets say i switch to another folder like the junk or trash i get an immediate crash to desktop

Numerous and Same crashing issue today. Windows 11 64bit with eMClient version 8.2.1721

Got it – fingers crossed it’s a fix. Am so tired of 25+ crashes in a day ! Thanks for posting this.

definitely not fixed with insider

i deleted the gmail accounts and set the message time to 1 day to see if it was a database issue

I would suggest then to backup all your files and image / ghost your computer and do either a “new profile” incase your current profile is corrupted or “a clean install” of the Insider version and see if that fixes the problem. Failing that you may need to wait till Microsoft officially release V 22H2 later in the year.

You could also try upgrading to the latest version of eM Client just come out today V9.1.2053 for Windows and Mac via the version history page. Ive run it on Windows 10 and 11 and Mac Monterey and works fine and no crashes at all.

Note:- If you do upgrade, backup eM Client first via “Menu / Backup” and you can see when the backup is completed via “Menu / Operations”. Lastly close eM Client before upgrading.

I am going to tentatively say its not crashing, I’m crossing my fingers, i think a lot of this is usually with Gmail IMAP and syncing large amounts of mail in the junk and trash folders, if i get the amount of emails down in folders it generally is way more stable, funny thing is it only affects EM Client, as other applications I have tested do not have this issue.

so far no crashes in this new version

Yeah i think this last update may have fixed everything

1 Like

Since Windows 11, my emclient has become very unstable. So much so that I am considering getting rid of it. Problem is I need to back-up and export to a new client and I can’t do that as it keeps crashing. It has been on “checking for corrupted database” for over an hour, several times this week already, and sometimes in the task bar its their, consuming significant resources but there is no window on screen and I cannot “end task”. I feel like a hostage to it. Its a POS at the moment and as soon as it works enough to back up and export its in the bin.

1 Like

This is most probably a bug with Windows 11 - specifically the UI automation issue which Microsoft are aware of. Until they can fix it you may be able to bypass that part of the OS by running eM Client in Windows 8 compatibility mode. It is not guaranteed, but may allow you to use eM Client until Microsoft can fix the issue.

Gary, thankyou for trying to help, but unless and until Emclient boots up (I’ve been trying since 09:00 this morning - Its either checking corrupt databases for hours or “starting” for hours), I cannot change anything. I would try and remove and re-install but then I would lose several important emails since the last back-up