Windows 10 Send to Mail receipient doesn't work with em client

I just upgraded to Windows 10 (1511) and when I try to right mouse click on a file and select send to mail recipient, I get the error message saying:
“Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client.”

eM Client is set to the default email app in Setting,default apps.

If I set Outlook to the default email app, then clicking on Send to mail recipient open Outlook as it should.

I then uninstalled Outlook and ensured em client is set to the default email client.  When I try again, I get a similar message saying no default email client is set.

unfortunately this is a problem in Windows 10 we know about, but unfortunately cannot do anything about - I think the problem is that Windows 10 doesn’t want to respect third party applications as default for some actions.
I’ve tried looking into Microsoft’s forums for a solution, but it seems the only available answers are shown when this issue happens with outlook.
Please try contacting the Microsoft support and see if they can offer a solution.

Best regards,

This isn’t going to make you happy, but I fixed that problem. Sadly, I don’t remember what I did, but it works fine now.  I THINK I uninstalled Outlook and Windows mail.

Someone suggested I install Windows mail (through Windows Essentials).  So, I uninstalled Outlook, installed Windows mail.  Set Windows mail to default, then set em client back to default and now it works :)   I uninstalled Windows mail and still no problem.
Windows mail installation must’ve set something in the registry that make things work again.

There is a simple solution to this problem but you have to know where to find it!

In Settings/System/Default Apps scroll to the bottom and select "Select Defaults by App’

When the list loads select em Client and at the bottom of the window click ‘Choose defaults for this Program’

Then make sure the MAPI send mail command is checked.

Thank you everyone for your solutions, seems like the issue is indeed something that Outlook sets up in the registry,

Best wishes,

Raymond, that’s exactly what I was doing when I was testing it, but had no luck.  After installing Windows mail and trying that again, it worked.