Where have my contacts gone?

I have a weird problem with eM. I’ve imported several hundred contacts without difficulty, and been able to use them. But a couple of times, when I select “Contacts” in the left hand pane, suddenly nothing is visible and I get a message saying “This folder contains no items and no operation can be performed”. I know my contacts are still there, because they’re visible using Ctrl-B. This happened for the first time a few hours ago, then they suddenly reappeared. I wasn’t aware of having done anything to bring them back! Restarting the program hadn’t worked. And it’s just happened again - and several restarts have made no difference.
Anyone got any ideas what’s going on - and how to correct it?

Hello,
does it display some error message? What server do you use for storing your contacts at? It would be also helpful if you paste (or send it to [email protected]) the log from the Log tab of operations window (menu Tools->Operations) after the issue happens.

Hello Gabriel
Thanks for your reply.
Since I posted the question, my Contacts folder has just continued to be (apparently) empty. The contacts have not reappeared. There is no error message as such, just the message saying “This folder contains no items and no operation can be performed”. For that reason, there is also no information in the operations log. The Contact list continues to be available using Ctrl+B, it is also present in the Sidebar Contact List!
peter batty

Hello,
we would appreciate if you send us logs: go to menu Tools->Settings->Logging and check CalDAV. Then restart eM Client, try to simulate the issue (synchronize contacts, i.e. go to the problematic folder and click Refresh) and send us the logs using the same logging settings window.

Regards

Thanks. I set up the logging as requested, but I couldn’t find any “refresh” command anywhere. Instead I decided to try an “import”, while I had the “Contacts” tab selected in the left-hand pane. As soon as the Import dialog box appeared, so did my Contacts folders, containing all my contacts. I didn’t actually have to import anything (so again, there’s no operations log available).
I’ve since restarted the eM client a couple of times, and the contacts are still there.

I am glad to hear that.

Just a little note - Refresh button is located at left-up corner on toolbar right under the main menu. When you click it, it starts both-ways synchronization of your contacts with the contacts stored at the server.

Thanks for your help. Glad to have my contacts back.

I haven’t set up a sync account (website keeps saying “server error”), so there’s no button visible.

I have the same problem as Peter Batty.

“When I select “Contacts” in the left hand pane, suddenly nothing is visible and I get a message saying “This folder contains no items and no operation can be performed”. I know my contacts are still there, because they’re visible using Ctrl-B.”

I’m not aware of doing anything to make them disappear?!? Any suggestions?

In the first place please open Tools - Settings - General and tick “Show Local folders” Then let me know if it helps.

Hi George! Yes, that worked. Thank you. I tried that before, but I failed to click on “Apply” to save the changes. User Error. I appreciate your help. Thanks!