When I delete or move a folder the folder reappears in italics and has no content. How do I prevent this?

Hi,
is your account set up as IMAP?
Folders can look this way when you don’t have write permission to the folder, this can happen when you attempt to delete a folder that usually still has some subfolders or something that can’t be deleted inside, and after the attempted deletion the server might ‘revive’ the folder from Trash, but without giving you the permissions to the folder.
If it is an IMAP account, I suggest trying to resynchronize your folder manually (Right click > Properties > Repair) or your whole account if that doesn’t help.

Best regards,
Olivia

Thanks Olivia. I am set up on a gmail account so I don’t know if it’s IMAP or not.

I tried that and it didn’t work.

Hi,
Gmail is set up as IMAP by default. Have you tried the folder repair or full resync of your account?

Regards,
Olivia

No, I don’t know how to do it. I am not technically inclined.  Please advise how to do it.  Also, will I have to do this each time I move a folder or will this fix correct the problem for the future?

This is not a common problem, there was probably an error while synchronizing.
Full resync just means removing and adding your account back in eM Client.
You can do that in Tools > Accounts.

Regards,
Olivia

Will I lose everything?

No, IMAP always synchronizes with the server. If you are using IMAP, then your data is being synchronized with the server. When you add your account back in it will just synchronize all the messages again.

Regards,
Olivia

I need more of a step by step to do this.  I went to _ _Tools > Accounts.  Am I actually “deleting” my email and then setting it up again?  

You are removing the account from eM Client. Your actual email still exists on the server. You will just add it again using the ‘New account’ button.

I deleted the email account and added it back and the folder in “italics” are still there.   Any other advice?

I tried the advice above to delete the account and add “new account”.  That did not remove the old folders in italics.  Any other suggestions to get rid of these phantom folders?   

Can anyone help with this problem?  I have tried all the recommendations by eM Client and it hasn’t worked.  These phantom folders drive me crazy… 

Hi,
sorry for the late reply, but this issue is really curious indeed, seeing as re-synchronizing your account should delete the mixed up data in eM Client and get the corrent data from the server.
The only other option is, that the issue is somewher eon the server instead, in which case I suggest trying to access your mail directly on the server through a web interface and if the corrupt folders are there tyr to delte them from the server first.

Regards,
Olivia