What the #$%^ is wrong with you people... WARN US BEFORE WIPING DATA

So, EM 6… closed it out and it said “hey, download the new update, there are several fixes”.

Sure Wilbur… done it before no problem.  Update.

And then lost freaking EVERYTHING. 

Thankfully I was backed up and am able to import.  But good gravy people… you can’t do that.  You have to clearly WARN people that this is a MAJOR update complete with an architectural shift that WILL WIPE DATA. This is one of those times were multi step approval is a must. 

Up until this point I have been a happy EM client, recommended it to dozens of co-workers. 

With one update you lost my trust. 

I agree, with major updates, people need to be warned about data, warned that this is going to take a LONG time, the interface has changed and things that I have set up no longer are there. DONT be like M…Soft. think about you users! You will be much more successful.

Hello,

We’re sorry that you aren’t happy with the way the upgrade was handled. After installing eM Client 7 you are asked by the automatic import wizard if you’d like to import your data from eM Client 6. This option is pre-selected. Even if you accidentally skip it, you can import your data anytime using the Menu -> File ->Import -> Import from eM Client 6 option. We do ask for permission because the migration does take time and space and we do think that people need to confirm it. Also, if you’d like to downgrade, your data is still there.

Regards,
Maurice

Hi, I did click the import data, I had MANY folders saved in my Archive folder which have now ended up in my deleted items folder in 7, and all the emails within those folders are GONE!. Is there any way I can revert back to 6 or a way I can recover the lost data? Very unhappy…years worth of saved and archived data gone. morne(at)calit.coza

Hello Eben,

Could you please describe how exactly did you go about the Import? Did you check all of the items to be imported? Did you experience any crashes? Where did you import them? Are your Local folders turned on (Menu -> Tools -> Settings ->General - ‘Show Local folders’ option should be checked)?

We’ll of course help you with the downgrade if that’s how you’d like to proceed. Please just keep in mind that version 6 is not in development anymore and after the last update for version 6 is released, no other fixes or updates will be released for it.

For going back to the old version it is necessary to uninstall version 7 and re-install version 6 (available from http://www.emclient.com/release-history) “Link: http://www.emclient.com/release-history)”). If you haven’t deleted the version 6 database during the installation of version 7, you don’t have to do anything else.

If you have deleted the database, it will be necessary to deal with the change of the database structure between version 6 and 7:
Do you have any data stored locally or do you have it on the server? If you have all your data on the server, we would recommend starting with a new database after the re-installation of version 6. If eM Client can’t find the database folder in the default location (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming) with the default name (‘eM Client’), it will create a new one. In order to start with a new database, simply turn eM Client off and rename the ‘eM Client’ folder to e.g. ‘eM Client old database’. Please do note that starting with a new database will reset your program settings.
If you have some locally stored data, you will unfortunately need to Export this data from version 7 through Menu ->File ->‘Export…’ function into universal formats (such as .eml for e-mails), that can then be imported into version 6 through File -> ‘Import…’

Regards,
Maurice