What connection between Contacts and Local Folders?

If the Contacts folder is not contained in the Local folders (or is it?), why does the program ask me to enable Local folders? If I reply “NO” I cannot add new contacts. Is this logical?

Edit: I have just realized that Local folders actually contain Contact folders too. However, although I have just registered a new contact I noticed that the Contacts folder date has not been updated. In other words, where has it been stored exactly?

Hello Mario,

If your e-mail providers support Contacts then you will have a Contact folder for each of the email accounts that you use in eM Client, plus one Contact folder stored locally. If your e-mail provider doesn’t support Contacts then you can only store Contacts in the Local Folders. When you were creating your new contact, what folder did you choose for it to be saved into? When you are adding the contact, you can see this at the bottom of the New Contact window.

Regards,
Maurice

Thank you. Something is happening that I cannot understand: when I was trying to add a contact this afternoon, the application warned me that the Local folder view was disabled and that it should be enabled to add a contact. I enabled it and I could add the contact, which I presumed was registered into the Local folder. However, when I looked into the Local folder, the “contacts” file timestamp was not today’s date (I’ve just added a new contact and the date hasn’t changed).

My IMAP provider, which is not Gmail nor Yahoo Mail nor Outlook, doesn’t provide a Contacts folder, or at least I cannot find it. But this is irrelevant, otherwise I wouldn’t understand why the application asked me to enable the Local folder view to register those two contacts. They are definitely there when I open the Contacts pane, but where have they been registered actually if not in Local folders?

I hope I have explained myself clearly.

Thank you.

Hello Mario,

Thanks for the explanation. The local Contacts are indeed stored in C:\Users[yourname]\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\Local Folders. When you make changes to the data, such as creating new contacts, they are stored in temporary files while the program is running. These changes are written into the permanent files after you close the program. In other words, if you close eM Client now and look at the Local Folders folder, you will see the time when you closed the program as the time of the last change of the folder.

Regards,
Maurice

Hello Maurice,

I checked, and it definitely is as you say regarding the application storing contacts in temporary files first, thanks.

Mario