Version 7.1.33101.0 installed. Contact List corrupted

Version 7.1.33101.0 installed. Now when trying to Forward an email, I get a corrupted Contact List, something named a recipeint list. How do I get my Contact list back?

Are your contacts stored online like with Google, Outlook.com or similar services?

Hello Jerome,
can you please provide more details on this issue? By normal forwarding, I am not able to replicate anything you describe, unfortunately.

Where exactly does the corrupted recipient list appear? Can you perhaps take a screenshot of the problem? https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/
If you go to the Contacts section, are all your contacts still there? What folder are/were they saved in? Synchronized to a server or saved in Local folders?

Regards,
Olivia

Thank you for the reply.  That’s a good question.  For years I’ve assumed that the Contact list was stored in the eM Client program on my computer.  I have searched and could not find it.  I have also checked my Outlook.com account but could not locate the file.  I hoped that I could download/sync it to my computer to correct the problem.  In addition, I have searched the eM Client Help files and found no solution.
I am open to any suggestions.  

There are two options in eM Client: the contacts are stored in Local Folders which means they are only on your computer, or they are stored online with your email account.

If you login to Outlook.com through the web interface and then click on the People icon, do you see your contacts there?

Thank you for your reply.  I had a complete description written up but when I tried to paste in a screenshoot everything was lost.So for my second try I’ll do something different.  When I click the ‘TO’ address line in the forwarded message a Contact window pops-up.  However, it contains a large number of addresses that I have never seen before.  I don’t know where they came from or how to get rid if them.

If I open my Contacts section my contacts are there with no other addresses.  I have always assumed that my contacts were stored in a local folder, one that I can’t seem to find.

No contacts there.

OK, that confirms that your contacts are not synced with Outlook.com

1.  By default, eM Client stores addresses from emails that have been received (could be cc:'s too).  You can go to menu/tools/settings/mail/compose and in the “Recipient’s History Section”, there are options on how to handle this and to clear any that have accumulated.

2.  For local folders, go to menu/tools/settings/general and in the general tab, check “Show Local folders”.  Then in the folder pane in the contacts section, you will see the local folders.  Check the folder to show contents.

That solves half of the problem.  Now where is the file and how do I clean it up.  See my reply to Oliva Rust.

Jay when I click on the To in the new email window, addresses from the recipient history do not display, only addresses in Contacts.

There’s not really a file you can delete.  If you click on “Clear Recipients History…” (my first screenshot), it will clear out the ones you have accumulated.  By un-checking “Store composed…” it will no longer save any.  

Thanks for the info Jay.  If I clear the recipients’ history will the Contact list from my local contacts replace it?

Gary-- If I scroll to the bottom of my contacts in the box that appears from clicking on to:, I see the collected addresses.

Jerome-- it will just delete the collected addresses and will not impact any you have added manually or have synced.

Gary-- I know this because I deal a lot with the Japanese and many of these addresses have Japanese characters, which I can’t type myself.  And I have not added them.

Ok, this is strange, maybe it’s a gmail thing.  I deleted the collected addresses through the menu system and it did not delete the collected addresses (or at least the ones I thought were collected).  They also are in my google address book.  Hmmm.

Thank you all for your help in solving my problem.  I don’t know what caused the problem in the first place but you each contributed to the solution.  Here is what I have found.  1. My contact List is stored in a Local folder somewhere.  2. For some reason eM Client stores recipient addresses somewhere.  Apparently forever.  3. When the ‘TO’ is selected for an address in either a new or forwarded email a Select Contact window pops up with a selection of addresses.  4. At the top of this window, there is a sub-window labeled ‘Contact’ with a down arrow that allows for the selection of the Contact Source.  Selecting ‘All Contacts’ results in the display of the Recipient list and selection of the ‘Local Folder/contacts’ results in the display of the Local list.

Sometime during my update to version 7.1.33101.0, my contact selection changed to ‘All Contact’ which gave me my problem.  Resetting my selection to Local solved my problem.

It would have been helpful if in the Help file there had been an explanation of how to use the Contact Select function.  It would also be nice to know what the function or purpose is of the Recipient List.

Hello Jerome,
thank you for sharing your solution and your feedback, I will mark it down for future improvements to our documentation.

As for the Recipient’s history feature - it exists to populate your suggestion bar when you write new messages. Not all users use the Contact folders and this feature can make it easier when writing new messages to previously used email addresses.
As Jay above mentioned, you can disable this feature and remove the Recipients history in menu/tools/settings/mail/compose, if you have no use of it.

Regards,
Olivia

Thank you for the explanation of the Recipient’s feature.