V9 not showing or checking for new messages

Settings shows eM Client is not the default mail handler. Cannot set as default by clicking the button as well as going through Wnidoze procedure to set as default. V9 sucks, how do I get back to V8?

Click on the button in eM Client settings to set it as default.

That opens the window to your OS settings.
Select Apps > Default Apps.
Select eM Client and set all the option for eM Client (except the webcal ones)

eM Client is now the default handler.

You may have to close eM Client Settings and open it again for it to recognise it is the default.

I did that and it changed nothing. The notice shows that eM Client is not the default mail handler. And new messages are still not showing up. How do I get back to V8 and not lose any emails?

The default mail handler means the application used by the OS when you choose to create a new message, open an eml file, etc. It has nothing to do with how the application connects to the server.

How is the email account setup in eM Client?
IMAP, POP3, Exchange?

As a test, can you completely disable any anti-virus, firewall, proxy or VPN, then try again.
Sometimes even restarting your router may resolve this.

I have 2 email accounts and both are POP3.

Can you go to Menu > Accounts and click on one of the POP3 tabs

What is the host, port and security policy?

The host is: pop.mail.yahoo.com. The port is 995. And the security policy is: Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy). Also, disabling anti-virus, firewall and VPN, in addition to rebooting the router did nothing either. This whole process is becoming very frustrating. Yesterday, I had a working copy of V8.2.1509 working with no problems. Than, I got the invitation to upgrade to V9 which I did. Now I have nothing but headaches because V9 does not want to work. Can you please tell me how to get back to V8 without losing any emails? I do not mean to offend your or your diagnostic abilities but, currently I don’t have the time to spend on debugging a new release.

If you want to downgrade, please follow the instructions here: https://support.emclient.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/195/0/how-can-i-downgrade-back-to-em-client-8-em-client-7-or-older

You will need to download the last install file for version 8 from here: https://www.emclient.com/dist/v8.2.1706/setup.msi

@MrFlexible

Yesterday, I had a working copy of V8.2.1509 working with no problems. Than, I got the invitation to upgrade to V9 which I did

Once you get your V8 back working, I would then suggest to “avoid any possible issues” in the future with upgrading to new versions etc, make a backup first via “Menu / Backup” which can then be reinstated using the same eM Client version you had before you upgraded.

You can also setup periodic backups automatically in eM Client via “Menu / Settings / General / Backup” rather than manual backup.

Gary, thanks for your patience while working with a grumpy old man. I now have release 8 reinstalled and working.

CZ, thanks for the good information on backups. I shall set up regular backups as you recommend.